3 pin fan on 4 pin pwm control?

PotatoWithaLaser

I have a mini itx motherboard with 2 fan headers, one cpu fan and one case fan. The case fan header is a 4 pin header, but I wish to split it out to a 4 pin 4 fan hub. My motherboard allows 3 pin voltage control for speed as well, but I was wondering if it's possible to have 2 3 pin fans and a 4 pin fan on the same hub. If so, would I have to have 3 pin control or 4 pin control selected in my bios? And what are the benefits of either? I know when I was messing around, if I did 3 pin control on a 4 pin fan, it would just max the fan speed, but that was without it being on a hub. Any ideas, or should I just buy the hub and try it? Thanks! 

-Potato

For 3 pins, always go for DC despite using a 4 pin fan hub.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

2 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

For 3 pins, always go for DC despite using a 4 pin fan hub.

Okay, so will my 4 pin fan just be maxed then? It's fine if it's is, just curious if you knew. 

8 hours ago, PotatoWithaLaser said:

Okay, so will my 4 pin fan just be maxed then? It's fine if it's is, just curious if you knew. 

Have 3pin fan in the header with rpm sensor. Have DC control for all fans. The PWM fan will also be DC controlled. If you would have it other way around, then both 3pins would be 100% all the time. The controlling for PWM is done by power cycles. So fans get full 12V all the time, but 4th pin determinates how often fan receives that 12V push.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv