PSU fan not working

Hey guys, I'm building my first computer and I bought a secondhand Corsair GS700.

I plugged it in and did the paperclip test to see if it was working but when I powered it on, the fan didn't spin and there was no light at all.

I got some fans and a radiator (H80) to check if at least it had power, it had, the radiator and fan that I plugged in the molex cable worked perfectly.

I know the fan isn't supposed to spin until the PSU hits 40% load but it's weird that it doesn't spin a little bit when I turn it on, not even to mention the light that's not working at all...

Is there a way to solve this, can I open it up and replace the fan.

I have no way to test this with a motherboard/CPU because o haven't bought it yet.

Thanks in advance guys.

just plug it into a random computer and play some games 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Hey guys, I'm building my first computer and I bought a secondhand Corsair GS700.

I plugged it in and did the paperclip test to see if it was working but when I powered it on, the fan didn't spin and there was no light at all.

I got some fans and a radiator (H80) to check if at least it had power, it had, the radiator and fan that I plugged in the molex cable worked perfectly.

I know the fan isn't supposed to spin until the PSU hits 40% load but it's weird that it doesn't spin a little bit when I turn it on, not even to mention the light that's not working at all...

I have no way to test this with a motherboard/CPU because o haven't bought it yet.

Thanks in advance guys.

Where did you buy it from and how much did you pay for it? I would wait until your CPU and Motherboard to properly test it out before you think about returning it.

Go for the suggestion above if you have another spare computer/a friend's computer/whoever's computer that will let you test the power supply.

That's the problem, I don't know anyone that owns a gaming computer that can max the PSU, any other options?

What a weird way to test a PSU .. ... You need to build it inside a machine.. a PC... it's a really weird method to test a PSU like this..

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

That's the problem, I don't know anyone that owns a gaming computer that can max the PSU, any other options?

Just wait till you get your parts.

Just wait till you get your parts.

Alright, thanks for the help anyways, if it doesn't work when I get my parts I'll come here and post it again.

Here's how you can change the fan on it if you really want to. Just be aware that this voids any warranty it has, and MG2R and myself are not responsible for any damage that may occur.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3881-how-to-change-the-fan-of-your-psu/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Thanks in advance guys.

There is a button on the back of the psu that is supposed to cycle through red, blue, white, and off. Have you tried using it?

If you open up the psu you will void the warranty and will not be able to return it.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

It will or should turn on under load!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

Here's how you can change the fan on it if you really want to. Just be aware that this voids any warranty it has, and MG2R and myself are not responsible for any damage that may occur.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3881-how-to-change-the-fan-of-your-psu/

The warranty is no problem at all, I watched both videos and they were very informative my question is what fan is more adequate for the GS700, I'm asking because the PSU has a button on the back that makes the LEDs change color or power off...

There is a button on the back of the psu that is supposed to cycle through red, blue, white, and off. Have you tried using it?

If you open up the psu you will void the warranty and will not be able to return it.

That was the first thing I tried, pressed the button several times and nothing happened.

It will or should turn on under load!

Unfortunantly I have no current means of testing the power supply under load, but I searched on youtube people doing the paperclip test on this specific PSU and when they turned it on, using the power button, the fan would spin for a brief second, the light also turns on during the paperclip test, non of this happens to my fan when I try to turn the power supply on.

I think the fan might be broken but my best bet is to wait for the rest of the parts.

The warranty is no problem at all, I watched both videos and they were very informative my question is what fan is more adequate for the GS700, I'm asking because the PSU has a button on the back that makes the LEDs change color or power off...

I don't think there is a fan on the market that can do that. If you don't really need the LED's, just get a Noctua that fits and do it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't think there is a fan on the market that can do that. If you don't really need the LED's, just get a Noctua that fits and do it.

Alright, I'll open it tomorrow to see what type of fan it has inside, I'll post some pics, thanks for all the help.

Alright, I'll open it tomorrow to see what type of fan it has inside, I'll post some pics, thanks for all the help.

xD I like your profile pic. Reminds me of the time in kindergarten that a girl dressed up as a cop and won the costume contest.

And always glad to help.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Why don't you just return the unit and get one that works?

Why don't you just return the unit and get one that works?

He got it second-hand.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Until you can put a serious load on the psu you will not be able to tell if the issue is the entire fan or just the lighting.

Check http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS700-Bronze-Power-Supply-Review/1617. If this is your unit you will see a picture of the 140m fan on the first page with a part number.

@Keymngetemn WTF MAN YOU WRITING A BOOK OR SOMETHING? This has nothing to do with a PSU fan not working.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

@Keymngetemn WTF MAN YOU WRITING A BOOK OR SOMETHING? This has nothing to do with a PUS fan not working.

It's spam, just Report it.

It's spam, just Report it.

Done deal.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

Until you can put a serious load on the psu you will not be able to tell if the issue is the entire fan or just the lighting.

Check http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS700-Bronze-Power-Supply-Review/1617. If this is your unit you will see a picture of the 140m fan on the first page with a part number.

In that case I won't need to open the PSU (for now) I was just curious about how the fan and lights were wired together. Thanks.

I'll just wait for the rest of the components, will I be able to test this without a graphics card?

I'll just wait for the rest of the components, will I be able to test this without a graphics card?

Yep. As long as the system can power up and stay on, that should indicate if it works.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler