New build problem

Chenty

So I built a gaming system for a friend, but it started crashing shortly after he received it. No BSOD, just a complete lock-up. After getting it back, I started swapping out components to try and find the culprit. After removing the graphics card, a fresh OS install and different RAM being put in, the problem persisted. I then tried putting my i7 in the system and no more crashes! I ran prime95 for a few hours to be sure and played some games and everything was fine, so I assumed it was the CPU that was to blame and promptly ordered a replacement. However the new processor yields the exact same problem. One would assume it's just a compatibility issue, but get this; the board is Z77 and the original CPU is Ivybrige, but my CPU (that makes it work perfectly) is Sandybridge. How can my CPU be more compatible with Z77 than his? My assumption now is that it is a BIOS setting, but I haven't really changed anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Specs:

Original CPU: i5 3570

My CPU: i7 2700K

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x4GB

GPU: Asus HD7870 DC2

SDD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB

HDD: WD Enterprise 1TB

PSU: Storm Silent 700W

Case: CM Elite 430

ODD: DVD-RW SATA

Cooler: Stock

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

I'd try a bios update. Might sounds ridiculous but trust me, I fixed a similar issue for a friend :)

RMA the motherboard. That sounds like the problem.

Can be a lot of things possibly not enough voltage to the cpu, could be old bios as Linus always says download the latest stuff form the manufacturer's site. It could even be faulty power delivery test each component one at a time in a system you know works, don't go throwing everything on a different board isolate variables and if something causes the known stable rig to fail it's likely that component.

​I know you mentioned you used different RAM, but I would still do a memtest to see if the MOBO is compatible with that brand. Other than that I would try and update the BIOS with the lastest version just like @R1zzal mentioned (That's very critical)

Try loading optimized default your BIOS and then updating it - might just work.

Maybe try upping the voltage a bit or you could always just RMA it.

Best wishes

- cheti

I have no idea if this can happen or not, but maybe the motherboard is giving to much voltage to the cpu, the non overclockable cpu crashes because, well it cant overclock, your 2700K is ok because it can... This is just a thought, like i said i dont know if that can happen. Check the motherboard voltages with the 3570 voltages (from intel) see if theres a difference.

Bios update and check voltages, if the problem persists RMA :(

I have that motherboard with an i 5 3570k, works perfectly for me. The board does have some mixed reviews, and can be hit or miss it looks like.

• i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
  • Gigabyte z77
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance
  • Galaxy GTX 670 OC
  • 120gb Patriot Pyro SE
  • 2TB WD Green

Trying updating the Bios, and if that doesn't work restore it back to the original version or later. If all else fails, send it back! Good luck.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Thanks guys I'll try updating the BIOS. That was my next step anyway, since it has dual BIOS so I don't have to worry about frying it. If that doesn't work I'll play around with the voltages.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull