maxhyt
Hi everyone,

I have finished building my rig with the specs below:
CPU: Xeon x3430
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333
Mobo: GA-P55-UD3L
PSU: Deepcool  DE-480
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 950

It booted absolutely fine to BIOS yesterday, everything was working but i didn't have the hard drive for it yet so I shut it down and left it overnight.
Today, i plugged an USB with Windows in, pressed the power button and lights were up for about 500ms and shutdown, 3s later it did the same thing.

I tried plugging each stick of RAM at a time, clear CMOS by pulling the battery out, pulled every cable out except 24-pin and 4-pin connector but the issue remains.

I'm thinking it's because of bad PSU, i will grab a new one soon but mean while any suggestions to diagnose this please?

Update #1: Tried the PSU with another rig and it is working normally, probably not the PSU

Update #2: When I hold reset switch when it boots, it stays up for 3-5s, instead of 0.5s

29 minutes ago, maxhyt said:

I'm thinking it's because of bad PSU

Are you *certain* your board supports the Xeon CPU? Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's supported. Xeons are typically only for server-class motherboards and yours is quite old...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you *certain* your board supports the Xeon CPU? Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's supported. Xeons are typically only for server-class motherboards and yours is quite old...

Yes it does, like i said it has been working fine yesterday until this morning when i plug in the usb and press the power button

if it is new build maybe there is some screw that is making short circuit run it outside of the case on cardboard

Just now, wojtepanik said:

if it is new build maybe there is some screw that is making short circuit run it outside of the case on cardboard

I am currently running it on cardboard now. 1 stick of RAM, 4-pin and 24-pin connectors only.

1 hour ago, maxhyt said:

Yes it does, like i said it has been working fine yesterday until this morning when i plug in the usb and press the power button

Prior to today, with the issue, how long have you had it running with the Xeon in it?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Prior to today, with the issue, how long have you had it running with the Xeon in it?

Approx. 6 hours

1 minute ago, maxhyt said:

Approx. 6 hours

Did you buy this board new?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Did you buy this board new?

No it's not new. It might be because of the mobo. Just want to be sure which part gone wrong so I can get a new one.

Btw, does CPU heating up indicates anything? Like, if it's working then must be the motherboard

1 minute ago, maxhyt said:

No it's not new. It might be because of the mobo. Just want to be sure which part gone wrong so I can get a new one.

Btw, does CPU heating up indicates anything? Like, if it's working then must be the motherboard

All the heat means is the CPU is getting power. Neither the Rev 1 or the Rev 2 of this board specifically state support for that model Xeon. Maybe this is an issue, maybe not, but before you chuck the board as bad, there are two options here you can try:

Remove all ram, power it up. The board should beep at you. If it doesn't then the board is bad. If it does, then it's trying to POST (a good sign) and can't find RAM to work with, so it throws an error code (the beeping)

If it beeps at you, go buy a cheap CPU that's on the supported list, and try that. Also, update your BIOS if it posts.

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

All the heat means is the CPU is getting power. Neither the Rev 1 or the Rev 2 of this board specifically state support for that model Xeon. Maybe this is an issue, maybe not, but before you chuck the board as bad, there are two options here you can try:

Remove all ram, power it up. The board should beep at you. If it doesn't then the board is bad. If it does, then it's trying to POST (a good sign) and can't find RAM to work with, so it throws an error code (the beeping)

If it beeps at you, go buy a cheap CPU that's on the supported list, and try that. Also, update your BIOS if it posts.

It doesn't beep, however there is a bit sound like 1/10 of beep should be. Probably the board is dead. I will get a cheap cpu in the support list and try it out.

Thanks a lot for your help :D

1 hour ago, maxhyt said:

It doesn't beep, however there is a bit sound like 1/10 of beep should be. Probably the board is dead. I will get a cheap cpu in the support list and try it out.

Thanks a lot for your help :D

You are welcome. I'd venture a vague faint beep/fuzz is probably a sure sign of a bad board, but older CPUs are quite cheap so before you chuck it entirely, go that route with a used CPU and let us know the results.