2 Factor Authentication Issue

iRileyx

I have no clue if this is the right section but I can't see an account support forum so :P

Long story(ish, sorry) I changed my phone from a 3T to a 6 a little over a month ago. 

My Google authenticator from the old phone didn't transfer across when I copied apps etc over, after setting it up on my 6 the accounts that were on my 3T aren't there. 

That's not an issue as I'm still logged in through chrome on my phone(how I'm posting this) however I cleared my cache and history etc. on my desktop so when I try to sign in it's now asking me for my 2FA code from the app, which I've no way of getting. 

TL;DR

Changed phone and lost authenticator, can't see any options to disable 2FA in account settings, no clue how to add my LTT account back onto my authenticator on this new phone, help pls. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Afaik accounts setup in the authentication cannot and do not "transfer".  You'd have to set them up on the new phone manually, preferably before getting rid of the old one, but if that's not an option, that's what recovery codes are for.  As a general rule, it's always wise to stop and think about what it would take to get into your account every now and then, so you can remove potentially dangerous routes of entry to protect yourself from attackers, and so you can ensure you will always have access no matter what happens.

That's all generic information though.  As for this specific case, hopefully an admin can help you out with this.  Perhaps @colonel_mortis

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You should be able to disable two factor authentication, or transfer it to your new phone, by going to https://linustechtips.com/main/settings/twofactor/ and either clicking the cog or disable next to the authenticator button. If that's not working for you for some reason, send me a PM and I'll have a look at it (though I can't promise a prompt response at the moment).

When you set up a new phone, the codes aren't transferred to the new phone by design, as a security feature.

HTTP/2 203

10 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

You should be able to disable two factor authentication, or transfer it to your new phone, by going to https://linustechtips.com/main/settings/twofactor/ and either clicking the cog or disable next to the authenticator button. If that's not working for you for some reason, send me a PM and I'll have a look at it (though I can't promise a prompt response at the moment).

When you set up a new phone, the codes aren't transferred to the new phone by design, as a security feature.

That did the trick, was going on account settings where it says 'two factor authentication : authenticator app' but it wasn't clickable, didn't realise that you have to use the drop down to access it. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter