Should I get a 2990wx?

I'm getting a PC built for me and I'm trying to figure out which CPU would be the best suited for my workflow. Speed and performance is getting to be a concern for me as I'm finding myself spending more time waiting for my computer to stop lagging than I am actually working.

My time is split 60% Photoshop (I'm currently working on a 13gb .PSB that's a composite of several Hasselblad files) and 40% Cinema4D with both modelling and rendering (no animation).

I've heard mixed information.. Photoshop is single core and benefits from higher clock speed less cores, but I've also heard that CPU clock speed shows diminishing returns beyond 4.2ghz. To my understanding, the way the boost clock on the 2990wx works work put some, not all, of the cores to 4.2ghz while the rest work at 3ghz. 

Will the new AMD Threadripper 2990wx be a good fit?

8 minutes ago, photokai said:

I'm getting a PC built for me and I'm trying to figure out which CPU would be the best suited for my workflow. Speed and performance is getting to be a concern for me as I'm finding myself spending more time waiting for my computer to stop lagging than I am actually working.

My time is split 60% Photoshop (I'm currently working on a 13gb .PSB that's a composite of several Hasselblad files) and 40% Cinema4D with both modelling and rendering (no animation).

I've heard mixed information.. Photoshop is single core and benefits from higher clock speed less cores, but I've also heard that CPU clock speed shows diminishing returns beyond 4.2ghz. To my understanding, the way the boost clock on the 2990wx works work put some, not all, of the cores to 4.2ghz while the rest work at 3ghz. 

Will the new AMD Threadripper 2990wx be a good fit?

The 2990wx has some issues with memory latency atm. I think a 2950X would be more suitable. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

X299 might be better suited to your needs, a 7900X or 7960X or 7980XE will hit close to 5GhZ with progressively more cores, suit to budget

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Probably not.  The photoshop would be better served with a faster system and the cin4d would scale up to all 32 cores, but would have comparable performance to a x299 system at higher speeds.

As stated above a 1950/2950 system might work, but for the best performance in your workload intel's higher speeds make more sense.

If you could wait a good bit, do so and get X599. It should be better than all. I wouldn't suggest a 7900X, it loses to the 9900K in Cinebench stock-vs-stock. Maybe get 7920X... they're toasty though.

Everyone here so far says Intel, but all the benchmarks say AMD.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-2990WX/m352013vsm560423

From what I understand.. I'll see 20% better Photoshop performance on the Intel 78×× CPUs compared to the AMD but 50% better C4D and multitasking on the AMD compared to the Intel. 

Everyone's logic for steering me Intel is for the 20% gains on Photoshop, correct? Or is there more to it? 

I don't think you're understanding it right. You told us that %60 (most) of your usage will be single-thread based. For that, I suggested you the 9900K, which will pretty much hold the throne of single threaded performance for quite a bit of time.

Of course more cores will have more overhead, but Intel is prepping a new platform to compete with TR2. You're comparing pretty much an overpriced, very hot running older CPU to a TR2... it doesn't make any sense.

The TR2 is basically two Pinnacle Ridge (take it as 2700X) chips in one die, on steroids. I'm running one right now. I can bench it for you, but I know for a fact that it does not perform like how my 7820X did.