3 pin cpu fan control on asus fan expert 2

Peter041098

Any one have any idea how to slow it down with fan expert 2, I did some Googling and did not find anything helpful 

Maybe lower the voltage? I'm not familiar with the software at all, but 3-pin fan speed is controlled using voltage, so try that.

The software states that it can control the fan it "advanced mode" witch i can't find 

Hit F7?

12 minutes ago, Warrie said:

Hit F7?

Doesn't appear to have worked 

P.s. If it means in the bios it only gives me the option to "enable" or "disable" it

Can you maybe make a screenshot/screencap of the entire fan xpert screen? That would make my job so much easier since I can't really find it on Google Images :/

What about the fan tuning button? And the fan tab itself?

47 minutes ago, Peter041098 said:

P.s. If it means in the bios it only gives me the option to "enable" or "disable" it

Maybe try enabling it and then messing around with the rpm settings in the bios? That's the conclusion I can really come up with since I'm not familiar with software fan control

What motherboard are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 hours ago, Warrie said:

Maybe try enabling it and then messing around with the rpm settings in the bios? That's the conclusion I can really come up with since I'm not familiar with software fan control

it would only help before windows kicks in

1 hour ago, Peter041098 said:

A88XM-PLUS

3pin fans should be plugged into one of the cha_fan headers for control. Use the cpu_fan header for 4pin pwm fans. 

When you first enter the bios, you can use the press the Silent preset under EZ Fan settings and see if that quiets it down enough. If you want to configure more settings, you can press F7 to enter Advanced mode and adjust rpm lower limits, max temp, and max duty cycle / rpm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

3pin fans should be plugged into one of the cha_fan headers for control. Use the cpu_fan header for 4pin pwm fans. 

When you first enter the bios, you can use the press the Silent preset under EZ Fan settings and see if that quiets it down enough. If you want to configure more settings, you can press F7 to enter Advanced mode and adjust rpm lower limits, max temp, and max duty cycle / rpm.

Wouldn't that only work for linux, the app on Windows overrides the bios settings anyway 

21 hours ago, Peter041098 said:

Wouldn't that only work for linux, the app on Windows overrides the bios settings anyway 

Don't use the Windows app. The motherboard settings should work with any OS as long as you don't override them with another app. 

20 hours ago, Peter041098 said:

it would only help before windows kicks in

So you mean the fans would run fast before windows?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Obviously any Windows based softwares can control fans only after Windows has booted and loaded that software.

Having fan control before that needs doing it in hardware.

38 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Obviously any Windows based softwares can control fans only after Windows has booted and loaded that software.

Having fan control before that needs doing it in hardware.

Obviously, just don’t see th point in working about it. Buy a manual fan controller or deal with the horrible bios settings. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Buy a manual fan controller or deal with the horrible bios settings. 

There's better than either: Aquaero

It runs on its own hardware booting basically as fast as fans spinup.

And attaching physical temperature sensor to base of CPU heatsink allows setting temperature based control before Windows has booted.

(after which point it can use software based readings)

On 8/31/2018 at 3:40 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Yes(intended) i want software to be able to slow them down to lower vibrations and prolong the life of fans(thru a splitter on my tower cooler)