Setting Up New SSD

c00lFD

Just got my first ssd. I put it in my pc as a secondary drive, it shows up and all that. I just dont know if there is anything i have to do before i get started with it. Theres no program Files (x86) or anything like that. Do I have to add it in? When iI tried to download chrome and discord they downloaded to my main drive.

4 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

Just got my first ssd. I put it in my pc as a secondary drive, it shows up and all that. I just dont know if there is anything i have to do before i get started with it. Theres no program Files (x86) or anything like that. Do I have to add it in? When iI tried to download chrome and discord they downloaded to my main drive.

if you want files downloaded to the SSD you need to either set it to download to that drive or if you want to make the SSD the main drive you will need to reinstall windows on the SSD Itself 

Just now, WickedStarfish said:

if you want files downloaded to the SSD you need to either set it to download to that drive or if you want to make the SSD the main drive you will need to reinstall windows on the SSD Itself 

Dont want to set as main drive, just want to move my most used programs to it, like chrome. But chrome dosen't have a drive selection.

if you want to change the install location you need to open chrome settings and find the download section (under advanced options, on the right)

image.thumb.png.ac6fbbea40a8653f4b20d1c1d6833682.png

1 minute ago, c00lFD said:

Dont want to set as main drive, just want to move my most used programs to it, like chrome. But chrome dosen't have a drive selection.

are you referring to the install of chrome it's self? 

are you referring to the install of chrome it's self? 

yeah i am. What about discord

Just now, c00lFD said:

when installing it should give you the option to move where the program is installed to, and if it doesn't you may find there is be a small advanced options that can be clicked

when installing it should give you the option to move where the program is installed to, and if it doesn't you may find there is be a small advanced options that can be clicked

Alright. I'll figure it out. I added ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles (x86) folders as well.

6 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

Most of the benefits of having an SSD come from having it as the main drive with the OS on it......................

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

Didn't realise chrome was so difficult but i found a few links that may help you out, also i have never used discord so i don't know anything about the installing of that

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/install-chrome-different-drive-windows-10/

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-can-i-install-chrome-on-a-different-drive