M.2 Drives should come with some kind of heatsink

Labeled

I recently got a 970 evo on sale, I completely forgot about how hot m.2 drives can get.

With Samsung's own benchmark it was reaching 103c, hit 105c with ATTO. Loading WoW it would hit 75c

after putting on a new heatsink from EK it now only hits 77c max. and only 53 loading WoW.

I removed the front and back stickers, I left the copper strip on however. The heatsink from EK is pretty slim and aluminum with 1mm and .5mm thermal pads.

I'm sure they are reasoning that very few people will have long write cycles to cause excess heat stress. Samsung has a thin copper strip on the back of this drive. I thought about testing it without it but hitting 105, I just didn't want to risk it getting hotter than that. If they made their own heatsink enclosure for m.2 drives they could keep them fairly slim but also use something better than thermal pads and aluminum clipped together. I'd love to explore what kind of cooling can be developed that would still fit inside a laptop, but I don't have that kind of money. That sounds like a fun video though.

Testing was done in a 20c/68f room with all fans on their quiet setting.

Sorry if I should have posted this under General Discussion. I figured it belonged here because it was specific to M.2 Drives