Hook Up Multiple Inputs to One Amp

This is a new audio set-up for my desktop, first time with bookshelf speakers/amp combo.

Speakers: JBL Arena 130's
Amp: Dayton Audio APA150
Main Audio Source: Desktop PC

Right now I have my amp plugged in via a 3.5mm to RCA cable to my PC (motherboard). Both speakers are plugged in via banana cables to the amp, everything so far works fantastic.
The things I would also like to plug into the amp are:
My headphones (Sennheiser HD 439's) and
My TV/second monitor (an old cheap Haier HD TV with auxiliary and RCA connections)

Is it possible? Do I need splitters or couplers or a switch?

Help is appreciated, let me know if you need more info from me to be helpful.

No headphone output, so that is not going to happen.

For multiple inputs you can use something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Output-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00NWJQSM0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535243888&sr=8-4&keywords=rca+input+selector&dpID=41MKLiv9s1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Just dont use the video input/output and it will do audio alone just fine.

53 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Output-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00NWJQSM0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535243888&sr=8-4&keywords=rca+input+selector&dpID=41MKLiv9s1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Sweet! Thanks.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

As I'm thinking about it, would the headphones work if I used a 3.5mm female to RCA male adapter into a switch like the one you suggested?

25 minutes ago, babuganoosh said:

As I'm thinking about it, would the headphones work if I used a 3.5mm female to RCA male adapter into a switch like the one you suggested?

It can be done, but you will be throwing the impedances way out of spec.  The PC may fail to properly detect what is plugged in causing sound levels to be very low.

22 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It can be done, but you will be throwing the impedances way out of spec.  The PC may fail to properly detect what is plugged it causing sound levels to be very low.

Ah, ok. Where else would you suggest plugging the headphones into?

Right now the amp is plugged into the headphone AUX port on my mobo. (I believe that's what I'm supposed to do, right?)

The best other option I see is (which isn't very good I think) is plugging my headphones into the AUX port of my Monitor, which would work because it's plugged in via displayport (DP carries audio) but I don't think is ideal...right?

Ideally you would use the headphone port on your PC or use a USB headphone DAC.

You can go super cheap and get a USB sound card to run your headphones.

Oh, I didn't even realize external usb sound cards existed. Thanks for all the help!

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 7:28 PM, KarathKasun said:

Ideally you would use the headphone port on your PC or use a USB headphone DAC.

You can go super cheap and get a USB sound card to run your headphones.

Just wanted to come back here and let you know what I ended up doing...

My JBL Arena 130’s are hooked up via banana cables to my Dayton APA150. My PC (primary audio source) is connected to my amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable (monoprice cable). My headphones (Sennheiser HD 439) are plugged into the aux port on my monitor, and the monitor to PC via displayport.

My secondary audio source is an old Haier HD TV. My PS2 is connected via a mini a/v converter cable that came with my TV. My Roku is connected to that TV via HDMI, and finally the TV is connected to my Line-In port at the back of my PC via 3.5mm (also HDMI to GPU). There is a ground loop noise isolator (MPOW adapter) between the TV and PC at the PC end.

What a journey it's been. The initial installation of my wall mounts was a nightmare mainly due to the irregularity of my wall studs (and took several trips to the hardware store). Then I ended up taking even more trips to my local Fry's trying to get my TV’s audio to come through my JBL’s. First I tried using an RCA switch with a couple 3.5mm to RCA adapters to connect my PC, TV, and headphones to the amp, which “worked” but I got significant audio feedback at higher amp volumes (the noise got exceedingly worse when I ran a couple video games).

So I ended up returning all of that, and now I've got the set-up that I described earlier. The noise grounder is fantastic, I've got no more feedback (except at very high amp volumes, and even then it's not nearly as bad) and all my audio sounds great no matter the source or what application I'm running. Switching audio sources is easy and works like it should. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Yes I could've avoided a lot of hassle by buying a proper receiver (and then it'd be a proper solution). However, as you can see from the picture of my set up, I'm very limited on space. There were plenty of good quality and affordable used receivers online, but none in the dimensions I needed. There are a couple of receivers that could've fit my space requirements, but I could only find them expensive and new. I also felt weird spending more on an amp/receiver than my speakers (I got them new at a great price on sale).

Feel free to share your thoughts. At some point I'll add a sub, but I don't have the space for it right now.