Programming at School

calebp123

So my school (high school) currently doesn't have any form of learning programming and my friends and I wanted to start a programming club. My only problem is that I have no idea as to what we would do or talk about. So I was wondering if anyone else has a club or class like this and what you guys talk about and learn. Thanks for the help :)

Start with the basics, like HTML, CSS, PHP, and work your way up to things like Visual Basic, C+, etc.

Just my opinion :)

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Learn basic programming concepts together, then brainstorm ideas for apps. Discuss the ideas, develop them, iterate. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

you would have enough people to even start a programming club at your school? lucky, mines full of hicks and hoes <_<

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So my school (high school) currently doesn't have any form of learning programming and me and my friends wanted to start a programming club. My only problem is that I have no idea as to what we would do or talk about. So I was wondering if anyone else has a club or class like this and what you guys talk about and learn. Thanks for the help :)

if you're in high school you should start with pascal and qbasic. Then move to visual basic and C+ :')

Have allota fun m8 :D

~Nick

The software development course that was running at our school got canceled because the teacher didn't feel like teaching the course that year. :|

The software development course that was running at our school got canceled because the teacher didn't feel like teaching the course that year. :|

Wow thats really stupid. Sorry to hear that.

I started at school with C#. I think its easy to learn. But we learn alot of concepts too, so that you can learn another speach easily.

German Techie. Preffered programmingspeach C#

Come up with a small project that the students in your club think they can accomplish after a particular date.  Use time at school to work on it together and brainstorm, while you practice and learn the languages/concepts at home using online resources and/or books. 

Of course, this requires a lot of perseverance and dedication since you and your classmates will have to work on this outside of school, but that's what you have to do if you don't have a proper teacher. 

I think that creating a simple website using HTML and CSS is a good starting point if you would like to start with something easy.  Work your way up from there.

The above idea might be a nice introduction to building something. If you perhaps work on a website with friends using HTML and CSS, and then begin developing a backend for the website in PHP or Python, you'll soon start to pick up programming concepts while enjoying creating something fun and useful with your friends at school. That way you can experience working on a group project, dividing up work and learning by helping one another.

I think you should all talk about what kind of programming you want to get into first...

Scientific programming and web development are very different tracks and would have very different starting points...

The first thing you want to do is have a meeting with your group members and find out the following:

• Does anyone have any programming experience?
  • What do we want to learn how to program?

Web development for instance would require the immediate basics of HTML and CSS to get you started.  W3Schools has a fantastic website that teaches both of these and would then expand your knowledge with JavaScript, PHP, etc...

However, the more scientific rout which I like to refer to as "hardcore programming" (I'm kinda biased toward this because web development is boring as hell to me...) should be done first by learning C and then C++ or Java.

A teacher of mine once said... "C is the master language, God programmed the world in C." lol

If you want some more help with finding resources to learn different programming languages, feel free to send me a private message; I'd be happy to lend a hand!

my school does have programming classes.. never took one, and I need help, I have a project at modelcarlauncher.BlogSpot.com <if anyone has some spare time, you can totally write some code and I'll try it out. maybe teach me a few things in the process.

Start with C and then go to C# and then from their you can move to web development following HTML, CSS and ASP.NET etc