System Not Responding to Power

kels
Go to solution Solved by O-T,
1 minute ago, OfficialCam said:

Yeah the PWR LED is still on for the motherboard, but the power button on the case, motherboard, and power pins are totally unresponsive. 

I'd say dead motherboard. I could be wrong but I'm becoming pretty certain that it's a dead motherboard.

I read over the before you post thread and it doesn't look like I fixed my problem with it so here's a post describing everything I can. 

Let me start off by saying that ever other part besides the PSU in this computer is a little over 2 yrs old, the power supply was around 5 years old, so my initial thought was that it had gone bad.

So, about a week ago I was using my computer when it just shut off, everything lost power. Then my LED's on my keyboard came back on but that was it. Power button on the case wasn't working, so I opened it up and saw that the motherboard PWR LED was on. I tried booting it with the PWR Button on the motherboard and nothing, but read that it's not uncommon for some pieces to still draw a tiny bit of power but not be able to boot. So I left it alone and decided it was time to pick up a new PSU anyway since the one I had wasn't the best rated in the world. So today, about an hour ago I took delivery of a new EVGA Supernova 650 gold, and put it in the computer expecting it to boot right up since that was the biggest suspect. Nope, nothing. Everything is plugged in, I've triple checked every wire in the case. I've tried shorting the PWR connectors on the motherboard and nothing. PSU is BRAND new so it shouldn't have any issue booting up. 

I'm at a loss. I've seen where it could be the motherboard, but the motherboard isn't very old and I don't see why it'd just go poof out of nowhere, especially when the PWR led is still responsive.

Specs are: 
CPU: i5 6600k

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

GPU: MSI R9 390

Windows 10 64bit

If there's anything you can help me with please do. Any more information I'll be happy to give if needed. I hope I explained my problem clearly

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Do you have any access to another motherboard for troubleshooting? Does the PSU fan spin? Check your motherboard, and if any capacitors managed to blow up on it for example, that'd mean that it's dead, you're mostly after visual damage, although it happens that some motherboards die without leaving any visual mark. Even if it isn't that old, age is not the only factor to take into account for the death of a component.

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

4 minutes ago, O-T said:

Do you have any access to another motherboard for troubleshooting? Does the PSU fan spin? Check your motherboard, and if any capacitors managed to blow up on it for example, that'd mean that it's dead, you're mostly after visual damage, although it happens that some motherboards die without leaving any visual mark. Even if it isn't that old, age is not the only factor to take into account for the death of a component.

Unfortunately no I don't have anything else to test with. I don't see any visual damage or anything. I'm pretty positive it's dead. I'm really to just start all over, say f it and just build something all new. 

Just now, OfficialCam said:

Unfortunately no I don't have anything else to test with. I don't see any visual damage or anything. I'm pretty positive it's dead. I'm really to just start all over, say f it and just build something all new. 

Is the LED still turning on though?

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

8 minutes ago, O-T said:

Is the LED still turning on though?

Yeah the PWR LED is still on for the motherboard, but the power button on the case, motherboard, and power pins are totally unresponsive. 

1 minute ago, OfficialCam said:

I'd say dead motherboard. I could be wrong but I'm becoming pretty certain that it's a dead motherboard.

3 minutes ago, O-T said:

I'd say dead motherboard.

I've always kind of just upgraded and revamped my whole setup every two years. This is payback for not doing it at the 2 year mark this year, lol. 

Oh well, I think it's time to start fresh. New 8700k, 1080, etc. 

Thanks my dude.