did i make a mistake?

Ashleyyyy

(sorry for my english and long post, i needed to rant for a bit)

so about a year ago i started my current education (don't know the name in english) but basically i need to run 2 or 3 VM's at the same time sometimes, screen record, and type out my observations all at the same time. 

at the time i had a core i5 7400 system with 8gb of ram, and it just couldn't keep up. it ran out of ram all the time among other things. 

so being me i started looking at the second hand market here, and over time (about 8 months now) i built my current machine. the specs of that are in my signature. 

i bought some parts new and recycled others from my core i5 machine, but back on topic. 

my goal was to build a machine that could handle all the stuff i need for school, and it does that beautifully. but i also wanted it to game. 

there's where the problems begin. i ran Windows on it at first, and it was fine. all my games ran at (for me) comfortable frame rates on the GTX 1050 i had in it at the time. 

recently i did a load of upgrades to it. i got a new motherboard for it and a second gpu, because i wanted to run Linux as my main OS and using a VM with a gpu passed through to game. 

the passthrough does work, but in Overwatch i get random stuttering. it's worse on certain maps or when loads of characters are on screen at once. 

it starts dipping into the 30-40 fps range, and the gpu is only used for 30% according to task manager. 

did i mess up? i know older Xeon's are not the best option for running games, but it was fine with my GTX 1050 and the same cpu's running Windows... 

i still have parts of my core i5 system. i have the motherboard, cpu and 16gb of ram for it. i tried to sell that but nobody wanted to pay a good price for it. 

would i be better off taking my R9 290X out of my current machine and just building up that core i5 machine again as a dedicated gaming system?

She/Her

If you want, i would image th i5 has better quad core perf, try to find a used case and psu, and buy the cheapest ssd you can for OS and a hard drive.