Syncing Files to phone

Im wanting to set up a system to sync files, movies music etc between my phone (Samsung a5 2017) and my computer.

Originally my plan was to use google drive or something similar. 

However I want to be able to specify larger files such as movies ect get synced to some sort of external drive that i plug it into my phone (only sync when on wifi ofc xD)

Any ideas or input would be much appreciated

Cheers

What you'll want is a USB drive with both USB Type-A and USB Type-C ends on it. Something like this Kingston drive, for example.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital-64GB-Traveler-DTDUO3C/dp/B010HWCFDA/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

What you'll want is a USB drive with both USB Type-A and USB Type-C ends on it. Something like this Kingston drive, for example.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital-64GB-Traveler-DTDUO3C/dp/B010HWCFDA/

I thought about this but ideally I want to be able to sync over the internet.

So say have my movie colection stored on my computer/cloud service (So I can upload to it anywhere) and then be able to sync with it when elsewhere (say at a friends house or something) updating all the files on the drive as well as the files that I want syncing with my phone (music and what not)

If that makes sense.....

Cheers

2 minutes ago, _Jaws said:

I thought about this but ideally I want to be able to sync over the internet.

So say have my movie colection stored on my computer/cloud service (So I can upload to it anywhere) and then be able to sync with it when elsewhere (say at a friends house or something) updating all the files on the drive as well as the files that I want syncing with my phone (music and what not)

If that makes sense.....

Cheers

That makes sense. In that case, you'll need to have the USB drive plugged into a computer that can run a file sync service like Dropbox 24/7 so it's always in sync. Without the drive being connected to the internet somehow, I don't see how you'd keep it sync'd so.... yeah. Otherwise just use Dropbox between your computer and the phone.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

That makes sense. In that case, you'll need to have the USB drive plugged into a computer that can run a file sync service like Dropbox 24/7 so it's always in sync. Without the drive being connected to the internet somehow, I don't see how you'd keep it sync'd so.... yeah. Otherwise just use Dropbox between your computer and the phone.

Basically I want to have music and what not always synced with my phone but when I connect a USB drive to my phone it then syncs movies and what not to the drive.

Kinda a odd specific situation lol

10 minutes ago, _Jaws said:

Basically I want to have music and what not always synced with my phone but when I connect a USB drive to my phone it then syncs movies and what not to the drive.

Kinda a odd specific situation lol

... So you want the movies to sync from your phone to the drive? Or from the drive to the phone? I'm a bit confused here.

USB drives are "dumb" in the sense that they don't automagically sync things without the use of a computer. So if you're wanting to have movies on the USB drive to sync to the phone (or just watch from the drive on your phone), you first have to have a way to get the files onto the USB drive, which you'd use a computer for...

If you already had the movies on the phone, you could of course copy them to the USB drive... but that would defeat the purpose of needing the drive, unless it was storage space you're running out of on the phone.