Possible to redirect a Dos attack?

1823alex

I run my own minecraft server and stuff like that and use Skype which makes me a perfect canidate for an attack to be launched on me... Great. So I used to play on a really old server and they got attacked and they said that Intreppid (There server host) Usually can redirect the attack? But once Intreppid said they were unable to redirect the Dos attack? So I was wondering if it is possible to implement something like Intreppid's Dos attack redirection into my home network? People have to be able to access a server though. So is redirecting a Dos attack even possible? When I say redirect I don't mean redirect it to another website but somehow make it not affect my home network and maybe make it affect a dumby network I also own?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I don't think this would be legal in the home I honestly don't see how its legal with server hosts either I can understand protection but not a re-direct 

I'm not an expert on this and i'm not familiar with Intreppid, but i would suppose they're using quite sophisticated servers. Usually those servers are able to redirect DoS attacks. I guess you are running your server on your home PC/network, so in this case i would suggest you check your router to see if they feature some sort of DoS redirect. Otherwise see if there is custom firmware avalible for your router that features rediretions.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

This is the post they made back in September about the attack:

Well, we just got hit by a HUGE attack. Something that would nearly cost $50,000 - $100,000 to prevent a month, which is impossible with our current revenue.

"You were hit with a 35Gbps / 60,000,000 PPS attack which we had to null route. I think it reports at little in the control panel, but that is what we picked up on our edge routers. This is the biggest attack we've ever had." - Intreppid DDoS Protection

Many of you may say, "Get better protection." As I stated above, it'd nearly cost $50,000 - $100,000 a month. The server should be up within several hours, maybe even faster than that. The person probably paid a huge amount for this attack, so it shouldn't last long.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

This isn't to you 1823alex but for people that read this thread and others like this. What is DDoS attacks, People normally get confused/ do not know the full meaning :P . Say that you have a one internet connection. Then you get DDoS, that means (e.g 35Gbps) can be requested every second so your upload speed cannot handle that (this is a very simple e.g) because no one has 35Gbps upload speed for home use. The way have websites handle it is by sending it the requests to a security company that has the hardware to handle it and push that attack over several data centers. 

Back to your question. Well I do not think so in your case. They will be hitting your IP so that IP will be going to your servers and redirecting won't work. Calling up your ISP and telling them that your are being DDoSed and they shall then block it and so on from their side. You need to check if you are cover for that. You would have a small time of impact. Or what you could do is give people a DNS name to connect to your server and that DNS name is pointing to a security company (this is the basic idea) and they will see the attack and respond correctly. The DNS name would point to their IP's and then when they clear an IP to access your server then it will be pointed in their system to your IP and no one will ever know your IP besides Skype but that has been fixed :P Hopefully this makes sense.

If someone wants to DDoS you on a home connection you will just have to take it, no consumer hardware can survive a DDoS even if it does your connection will be overloaded so you wont be able to do anything anyway.

15k pps is about the most i found normal routers can handle.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I run my own minecraft server and stuff like that and use Skype which makes me a perfect canidate for an attack to be launched on me... Great. So I used to play on a really old server and they got attacked and they said that Intreppid (There server host) Usually can redirect the attack? But once Intreppid said they were unable to redirect the Dos attack? So I was wondering if it is possible to implement something like Intreppid's Dos attack redirection into my home network? People have to be able to access a server though. So is redirecting a Dos attack even possible? When I say redirect I don't mean redirect it to another website but somehow make it not affect my home network and maybe make it affect a dumby network I also own?

Like rufee has said, and I have said in another thread. There is nothing you can do to protect yourself from an attack.

What an attacker is doing is saturating your line to your ISP. Even if you do something, that traffic is still coming your way. Only way to stop it is for your ISP to stop it from going to you.