Does an overclocked monitor revert on another PC?

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,

Um you don't actually overclock the monitor. You are increasing the hz rate on your computer. This can either cause the monitor to display images at a faster rate increasing refresh rate... or if it isn't up to the task will just cause you to see a black screen because it cannot take the signal.

In some rare cases you can burn out a display, but I haven't see or even heard of that done more than a handful of times over the years.

So to answer your question. It WILL be stock when on another machine, because the method is done on the computer not the monitor. It would probably void your warranty, but this isn't something they can easily track down so unless you call them and say HEY I DID THIS AND IT BROKE! Then chances are your warranty will be unaffected.

Hello,

I have a Philips 60Hz IPS monitor, FHD, and I am thinking about overclocking. What I don't know though is if will revert to stock on another computer. Also would it void my warranty? I don't want to do it without knowing exactly what I am getting into. I have other components overclocked, I saw the guide on how to do it but I am still not sure if I should do it.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that overclocking settings are stored on the monitor itself thus changing the monitor's environment would not change it's stored settings such as the refresh rate and such. As far as voiding the warranty, I'm not too sure but I would bet that it does void the warranty cause that's what most manufacturers do when there is overclocking headroom, especially since overclocking can cause many deaths of parts.

My name Jeff

Um you don't actually overclock the monitor. You are increasing the hz rate on your computer. This can either cause the monitor to display images at a faster rate increasing refresh rate... or if it isn't up to the task will just cause you to see a black screen because it cannot take the signal.

In some rare cases you can burn out a display, but I haven't see or even heard of that done more than a handful of times over the years.

So to answer your question. It WILL be stock when on another machine, because the method is done on the computer not the monitor. It would probably void your warranty, but this isn't something they can easily track down so unless you call them and say HEY I DID THIS AND IT BROKE! Then chances are your warranty will be unaffected.