Is there a "default" SSD thickness for an older laptop?

crumbworks
Go to solution Solved by Ertman,

According to toshiba, you have a 9.5mm in there now.

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/isg/specs/Satellite/PSAE3C-MR108C.pdf

When upgrading the HDD, I know SSD thickness is now a factor, but that's more if you have a new notebook right? In my case, it's a laptop I bought in 2007... not slim form factor etc. It's fairly simple, but still works great other than an aging 4200 RPM HDD.

It's your standard 2007 Toshiba Satellite A200 notebook, designed back when SSDs weren't exactly economical -- back when replacing the drive just meant grabbing any other 2.5" drive.

As far as I know, most SSDs come in one of two thicknesses: 7mm or 9.5mm... so am I to assume the 7mm is for the newer 'ultra thin' or small form factor laptops, and 9.5mm is my best bet for a machine made before SSDs were a consideration? Or am I mistaken?

I checked the manual and it doesn't even mention drive thickness, so there has to be some 'default', right?

Thanks

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

i would just go 7 mm and be safe

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

couldnt you just get the slimmer one and get a spacer if required

Just a guy with a beard

7mm to be safe, but 9mm is pretty standard and works with almost every laptop.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

According to toshiba, you have a 9.5mm in there now.

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/isg/specs/Satellite/PSAE3C-MR108C.pdf

Well that's not my exact model, but I am going to assume the entire Satellite A200 line is the same physically and only differs in parts, so thank you kindly for looking into that, Ertman. The spec sheet in my manual only says 120 billion bytes (8MB Cache) Serial ATA, which is pretty vague.

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

Well that's not my exact model, but I am going to assume the entire Satellite A200 line is the same physically and only differs in parts, so thank you kindly for looking into that, Ertman. The spec sheet in my manual only says 120 billion bytes (8MB Cache) Serial ATA, which is pretty vague.

you can get a 9mm ssd and it will be fine

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb