SSD worth it?

Hamface55

Hello,

So have been thinking about getting an ssd for so long but don't really know if it is worth it. I have watch a bunch of videos now on how to make an ssd a boot drive but don't really know if going through the process is really worth it. It will just improve load times and speed up windows a bit right? Any help?

Thanks,

Dylan

If you haven't run a computer with SSD as the boot drive, you are surely missing out! Set up your SSD for the OS and core utility apps. Use a regular hard drive for where you install your games and other large software. If you want max performance for gaming, you could even install a separate SSD or better yet a striped SSD RAID array to radically improve your game load times. 

You won't believe the performance difference an SSD as your primary boot/OS drive will make! Seriously, it IS that much of a difference!

There are some SSD optimization tweaks for various operating systems, things that will make them more stable and more reliable over time. They're worth an evening's research...

9 minutes ago, Hamface55 said:

Hello,

So have been thinking about getting an ssd for so long but don't really know if it is worth it. I have watch a bunch of videos now on how to make an ssd a boot drive but don't really know if going through the process is really worth it. It will just improve load times and speed up windows a bit right? Any help?

Thanks,

Dylan

yep. rumors are true.

When installing windows, put it on there as usual! When you need space just add a hard drive right beside it!

let me just point this out. A 7200rpm hard drive can do 150 mb/s while any run of the mill ssd will get ya 500mb/s or more

obviously a good deal. Youll go from a 30 second boot time to 5 seconds, and all the apps will run so much faster!

The difference is more noticeable on 10+ year old computers, maybe a 2 minute boot up will be 10 seconds! SSD comes before Graphics in my opinon.

3 hours ago, youmanyousef said:

A 7200rpm hard drive can do 150 mb/s while any run of the mill ssd will get ya 500mb/s or more

That isn't the issue or the reason why SSDs are so much faster.

The Transferrate is a nice bonus but the real reason why the SSD is so fast is access time.

While you have 1ms or less on the SSD, you have usually something around 15ms on a normal HDD...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 hours ago, Hamface55 said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Dylan

Simply put an SSD just makes everything much faster. This doesn't just include boot times and loading times but also games as when loading terrain for example, the grass and textures will load faster. Loading screens will also be sped up. Nevertheless as great as an SSD is, it won't speed up anything to do with internet uploads and downloads. 

8 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

it won't speed up anything to do with internet uploads and downloads. 

God damn... its the only real BAD bottleneck I have currently. Why is it so expensive here and why isnt there an option for 100/100 or even 50/50 (screw you comcast! i have 100/10, but never get more than 50down on busy hours.)