Laptop motherboard has an open GPU spot.

Xw1IVt2.jpgI was bored and took my HP Envy 13 apart, apparently it still uses the same motherboard as the model that comes with an MX150.

It looks like its even pre-soldered. now I have a crazy Idea to source an mx150 and 2gb of vram chips and see what happens. Anybody know where I could do that?

I know there is like a 98% chance I just ruin it, but it sounds fun and worth it. I'd also have to get the other cooler model and replace the one that only has the cpu heatpipe.

this might be the wrong spot to post this but I honestly have no idea where else lol

it seems to be the right spot but you have to consider that your bios does not check this for a GPU an could even mean that it will not work at all.

also there is no thermal solution present so you'll have to source that as well.

even more probable is that you are missing the power delivery chips and transistors.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

That's a good point, I feel like those would be easier to find than an unsoldered mx150 I've been trying to find one and no luck

Just now, Labeled said:

That's a good point, I feel like those would be easier to find than an unsoldered mx150 I've been trying to find one and no luck

The only way your going to get those is from a donor board. these chips aren't readily available any where unless you are a reseller with a repair department.

but then again you might as well use the board it's already on xD

I think the laptop is too new to get a donor board anyway lol

16 minutes ago, Labeled said:

I think the laptop is too new to get a donor board anyway lol

whishful thinking right :D