Moving a dying RAID

Hi

I have a computer with a RAID 5 setup, for achieving video footage. The computer seems to be slowly dying though (It's freezing more and more frequently). The raid is controlled through the motherboard.

My question is, can these raided drives be moved to another computer, and keep the data and raid configuration?

It's 6 drives for a total of around 12 TB, so it'd be quite an ordeal to move that data to other drives.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, warlock257 said:

Hi

I have a computer with a RAID 5 setup, for achieving video footage. The computer seems to be slowly dying though (It's freezing more and more frequently). The raid is controlled through the motherboard.

My question is, can these raided drives be moved to another computer, and keep the data and raid configuration?

It's 6 drives for a total of around 12 TB, so it'd be quite an ordeal to move that data to other drives.

Thanks

Sort of.

If the new system uses the same RAID hardware as the old one, then yes. If it doesn't, then unlikely...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It's an Asus P6T

yes, I'd like to back up, but don't have that kind of space anywhere else. Wanted to see if there was another way, before buying almost $1000 worth of drives.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sort of.

If the new system uses the same RAID hardware as the old one, then yes. If it doesn't, then unlikely...

The board uses "Intel Matrix storage technology" for the raid

Is that still used?

1 minute ago, warlock257 said:

It's an Asus P6T

yes, I'd like to back up, but don't have that kind of space anywhere else. Wanted to see if there was another way, before buying almost $1000 worth of drives.

You need a backup anyways if you care about your data at all, get that. Not having a backup is asking for data loss.

The array should move over to a new intel board, but not guaranteed.

Id switch this over to software raid with storage spaces.

39 minutes ago, warlock257 said:

The board uses "Intel Matrix storage technology" for the raid

Is that still used?

In some boards, yes. Likely actual Intel boards.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.