Thoughts On My $83 (USD) Gaming Build? And Help With Future Parts!

Snotrap

Hey!

After some sweet deals and grabs I have built this machine for $114 AUD ($83 USD).

Here are the specs with the prices I got them for:

CPU: i5 3470 | FREE

MOTHERBOARD: GA-B75m-D3H | FREE

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master i70C | $15 (AUD)

RAM: Kingston single 4GB stick | FREE

PSU: Cougar STE 500 | $49 (AUD) 

HDD(s): 500GB 2.5" WD Blue 7200 RPM Drive, 250GB WD Blue 3.5" Drive | FREE

CASE: I have no clue but I got it for | FREE

GPU: Gigabyte HD 6950 1GBwithout unlocked shaders (have not been successful trying to unlock them) and a 950/1400 Overclock. | $50 (AUD)

I think I have listed everything besides front I/O etc.

Please let me know how I have done for $83 USD or $114 AUD.

I'm a little stuck on what I should purchase next.

Please help me decide!

I want to purchase a case or an SSD next.

I am looking at a Kingston A400 120GB for $42 AUD ($30 USD) or a Thermaltake Versa H18 for $49 AUD ($36 USD).

Please help me decide!

Thanks for reading!

Have a great day!

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

If possible I'd upgrade to atleast 8 gb of ram in dual channel and maybe upgrade to a better gpu< might not have to

1 minute ago, Klwdie said:

If possible I'd upgrade to atleast 8 gb of ram in dual channel and maybe upgrade to a better gpu< might not have to

Yeah I agree. I'm happy with my graphics card at the moment but I feel like my RAM holds me back a fare bit. I run GTA 5 on medium settings though at around 60FPS and CS:GO at around 150FPS on max settings but doesn't change much when I turn it down though which confuses me.

It runs great right now but yeah I suppose it would boost it even more. Do you know how much another 4GB stick in dual channel might affect its performance?

My Machines:

I'm not sure but I know there is a linus video about it and which ram is the optimal amount

Just now, mamamia88 said:

pretty damn good for the price. How'd you get all the free stuff?

One of my parents friends was getting rid of a system that included the cpu, case, ram and motherboard also with a cheap 500w psu that I did not like the look of. I just had the hard drives laying around too.

My Machines:

22 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

One of my parents friends was getting rid of a system that included the cpu, case, ram and motherboard also with a cheap 500w psu that I did not like the look of. I just had the hard drives laying around too.

I love getting free stuff too :D Nice job!

- RAM and SSD.  You probably already know this...  to minimize the chances of an unstable system, try to get RAM sticks similar in timings, voltage, and speed.

- I like the look of that thermaltake case.  It's a micro case so it should go well with that mobo you have.  However, if you plan to build a new system later and want to reuse the case, then your options are limited somewhat to micro or mini.-

- Moreover, check the dimensions of that case.  Your cougar psu is standard atx size psu? Will it fit in that case?  

https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Micro_Case_/Versa/C_00003148/Versa_H18_/Specification.htm

PSU length limitation: 220mm 

1 minute ago, Dryden said:

I love getting free stuff too :D Nice job!

- RAM and SSD.  You probably already know this...  to minimize the chances of an unstable system, try to get RAM sticks similar in timings, voltage, and speed.

- I like the look of that thermaltake case.  It's a micro case so it should go well with that mobo you have.  However, if you plan to build a new system later and want to reuse the case, then your options are limited somewhat to micro or mini.-

- Moreover, check the dimensions of that case.  Your cougar psu is standard atx size psu? Will it fit in that case?  

Yes it will fit. Thanks for your feedback!

I'm thinking I'll get RAM and a case next. Ram seems to be holding me back.

My Machines:

50 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

CPU: i5 3470 | FREE

MOTHERBOARD: GA-B75m-D3H | FREE

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master i70C | $15 (AUD)

RAM: Kingston single 4GB stick | FREE

PSU: Cougar STE 500 | $49 (AUD) 

HDD(s): 500GB 2.5" WD Blue 7200 RPM Drive, 250GB WD Blue 3.5" Drive | FREE

CASE: I have no clue but I got it for | FREE

GPU: Gigabyte HD 6950 1GBwithout unlocked shaders (have not been successful trying to unlock them) and a 950/1400 Overclock. | $50 (AUD)

This is one of the best budget builds I've ever seen, well done mate.

The first thing I would do is get another 4GB memory stick and run dual channel 8GB total.

Next thing would be to get a new GPU. Maybe a 1050 or 1050Ti if you can't find a better alternative.

Bear in mind that you won't be running terribly high demanding games on this system, but it should be able to handle 1080p Low to Medium settings in most with a new GPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Snotrap said:

Yes it will fit. Thanks for your feedback!

I'm thinking I'll get RAM and a case next. Ram seems to be holding me back.

yeah.  that's what i would do... get more RAM first.  either case or SSD later good luck

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This is one of the best budget builds I've ever seen, well done mate.

The first thing I would do is get another 4GB memory stick and run dual channel 8GB total.

Next thing would be to get a new GPU. Maybe a 1050 or 1050Ti if you can't find a better alternative.

Bear in mind that you won't be running terribly high demanding games on this system, but it should be able to handle 1080p Low to Medium settings in most with a new GPU.

Thanks! Yeah RAM next for sure

My Machines: