Why can't I QUAD CHANNEL DDR3/DDR4?

Hello my fellow friends.

OK, so, it looks like Quad Channel is something truly impossible for me that I cannot achieve in any of my two PC's.

Lets go through the Checklist of what I need to quad channel.

1. A Motherboard that supports quad channel [OK]

2. Four matching DDR3 or DDR4 sticks, same size, voltage, etc, probably a "quad" package. Identical mems. [OK]

3. A CPU that supports quad channel [OK]
4. Place the memory sticks on their desired location [OK]

First Setup:

ASrock X79 Extreme 7 - / Xeon E5-2667 V0 / 4 Corsair Dominator sticks (a 32GB Kit)

Dual Channel - Worked!

Tri Channel - Worked!

Quad Channel - HELL NO! Shows as "Dual Channel".

Second Setup: 

GA-X99-UD5 WIFI / Xeon E5-4655 V3 / 64 GB Kit from Gskill (4x 16GB) sticks DDR4 3200, running at lower @ because of the processor.

Any clue why I cannot run quad channel? Am I simply not meant for it?

Thank you all guys!

32.JPG

64.JPG

D8UAL.png

m3m.png

M3m2.png

Have you checked the BIOS to see if quad channel support needs to be enabled?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was not able to find such option to be honest, this bios is quite confusing but I sware I looked for anything related to Quad Channel, etc...

36 minutes ago, Forbannet said:

I was not able to find such option to be honest, this bios is quite confusing but I sware I looked for anything related to Quad Channel, etc...

BIOS should show if the RAM is loaded in Quad or Dual

Only reason my RAM is in Dual is because my other two channels are corroded

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

See profile for full specs

Primary Laptop "Vengeance":

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

Testing laptop #1 "Leonard":

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive

I looked every single option within the motherboard. I am wondering, does it really support?

Maybe this is just a reporting error. 60GB/s is expected for quad channel 2133Mhz. Have you tested the throughput with AIDA64 to confirm this? How does the throughput compare against dual and tri channel?

I tested the same kit on a G4560 and it (the G4560) performs better on Passmark, but worse on AIDA. Sending a comparison of AIDA on both, and also on Passmark, makes no sense.

Also the ramdisk on the G4560 is faster than the Ramdisk running on the Xeon.

B3NCH.png

p4ssmark.png

Updating AIDA64 to the latest version shows the memory as QUAD now, but CPU-Z and others shows as DUAL. Maybe because X99 mobos have 2 memory controllers?
Anyway, I don't think the performance is that gr8 to be honest, my X79 system performance on memory is pretty neat too, DDR4 is a scamm :D

Just hoping that this GA-X99 motherboard supports ECC Memory (not even Gigabyte answered me on this one). Then I will stack a lot of DDR4 and run my VM's and my Ramdisks/databases just like I wanted.

Thanks man!

QD.png

On 8/11/2018 at 2:11 PM, Forbannet said:

Updating AIDA64 to the latest version shows the memory as QUAD now, but CPU-Z and others shows as DUAL. Maybe because X99 mobos have 2 memory controllers?
Anyway, I don't think the performance is that gr8 to be honest, my X79 system performance on memory is pretty neat too, DDR4 is a scamm :D

Just hoping that this GA-X99 motherboard supports ECC Memory (not even Gigabyte answered me on this one). Then I will stack a lot of DDR4 and run my VM's and my Ramdisks/databases just like I wanted.

Thanks man!

QD.png

Looking at the spec sheet for your board (assuming its the GA-X99-UD5 WIFI?) then I believe it supports ECC. I am pretty sure, but not certain, that ECC and Registered Memory are one in the same. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive

Look at this.

"Up to 512GB Ram"

So maybe I will be able to use these ultra cool DDR4 sticks that are 64GB EACH lol.

I sent a ticket to Gigabyte a month ago, still no response.

* Support for up to 512 GB of system memory when using Registered DIMMs.

REGDIMM.png

ECC is not really the issue, the problem are the "Registered/Buffered" - "Unregistered/Unbuffered" scheme. All Registered or Buffered are indeed ECC.

Edit: Ps: yeah, these are confusing as heck, but there is Non registered ECC memory.

Edited by Forbannet

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:24 PM, Forbannet said:

ECC is not really the issue, the problem are the "Registered/Buffered" - "Unregistered/Unbuffered" scheme. All Registered or Buffered are indeed ECC.

Edit: Ps: yeah, these are confusing as heck, but there is Non registered ECC memory.

well it is logical to assume that if the board supports Registered DIMMs then it supports ECC memory

Main system "Kethlon":

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":