Moving an existing chroot to an SD Card

Hi, I have trusty with xfce desktop env. installed on my Samsung Chromebook Pro. However, I'd like to install and run everything on a micro-SD card. Is it possible to move the existing chroot I have installed, with all the same settings, configurations, software/programs, etc. on the SSD to an SD Card without having to install the whole thing over again? If it's possible, may you please tell me how? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you to anyone who answers in advance. Thank you! 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, jaytrl said:

Hi, I have trusty with xfce desktop env. installed on my Samsung Chromebook Pro. However, I'd like to install and run everything on a micro-SD card. Is it possible to move the existing chroot I have installed, with all the same settings, configurations, software/programs, etc. on the SSD to an SD Card without having to install the whole thing over again? If it's possible, may you please tell me how? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you to anyone who answers in advance. Thank you! 

Any reason you have not just installed linux directly to the chrome book and ditching chrome os out right?

(more curious than any thing) 

1 hour ago, nanaki said:

Any reason you have not just installed linux directly to the chrome book and ditching chrome os out right?

(more curious than any thing) 

But he said that he has installed trusty on his Samsung Chromebook Pro. Trusty is ubuntu 14.04s name. ubuntu is linux, so he does have installed linux directly to the chrome book.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

8 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

But he said that he has installed trusty on his Samsung Chromebook Pro. Trusty is ubuntu 14.04s name. ubuntu is linux, so he does have installed linux directly to the chrome book.

he installed as a chroot meaning chrome os is still there and linux runs on top of that. Infact in that set up you can do some pretty interesting things. Like essentially alt tabbing between 2 operating systems. There are 2 was to install linux on chrome books one is chroot the other is replacing chrome os (linux based) out right. Chroot is limited in what you can install 14.04 is about as high as you can go with that method. If you replace chrome os out right you can install any linux you want basically. On my old n21 lenovo i had 16.04 installed it was to big so i redid it with the newest at the time debian. 

2 minutes ago, nanaki said:

he installed as a chroot meaning chrome os is still there and linux runs on top of that. Infact in that set up you can do some pretty interesting things. Like essentially alt tabbing between 2 operating systems. There are 2 was to install linux on chrome books one is chroot the other is replacing chrome os (linux based) out right. Chroot is limited in what you can install 14.04 is about as high as you can go with that method. If you replace chrome os out right you can install any linux you want basically. On my old n21 lenovo i had 16.04 installed it was to big so i redid it with the newest at the time debian. 

Thanks for explanation. I know what is chroot. I have arch linux chroot on my Nexus 5 in Sailfish OS :)

If space is a problem and chromebooks are weak why would you install ubuntu or debian? Just install arch + XFCE or even i3 and it will be much lighter and will have use much smaller space on storage. My arch linux + i3-gaps on laptop uses 165 MB RAM on fresh boot and ~5 GB space on SSD. With many programs installed

those that do backups

2 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Thanks for explanation. I know what is chroot. I have arch linux chroot on my Nexus 5 in Sailfish OS :)

If space is a problem and chromebooks are weak why would you install ubuntu or debian? Just install arch + XFCE or even i3 and it will be much lighter and will have use much smaller space on storage. My arch linux + i3-gaps on laptop uses 165 MB RAM on fresh boot and ~5 GB space on SSD. With many programs installed

mmmm i3 my fave :P

i ran fluxbox on mine. As for weak and low storage sace yes to low storage space no to weak. In fact most / all are 2gb ram or more with core 2 duos or better minimally. Mine was 2gb core 2 duo and i played ryzom on it as it also had a 512 mb intell hd 4k in it. Some high end chrome books are insane with 32gb ram 32 to 128gb ssd storage nvidia gpus with 1 and 2gb vid ram up to ti 1030 (if i recall) The thing about chrome books is this they are undervolted by default also ften under clocked a couple 100 mhz to reduce temps to allow for 100% passive cooling. This makes things run cool and give tremendous battery life. These systems beg for a full os heh. You try a chromebook with a full install of linux you wont want to give it up. They are a joy to work on. Also many of them have standard sata for 2.5inch drives and use m.2 ssds in a adapter. So you can use full sized mechanical hds or full sized 2.5 inch ssds meaning you can upgrade storage to huge scales

10 hours ago, nanaki said:

mmmm i3 my fave :P

i ran fluxbox on mine. As for weak and low storage sace yes to low storage space no to weak. In fact most / all are 2gb ram or more with core 2 duos or better minimally. Mine was 2gb core 2 duo and i played ryzom on it as it also had a 512 mb intell hd 4k in it. Some high end chrome books are insane with 32gb ram 32 to 128gb ssd storage nvidia gpus with 1 and 2gb vid ram up to ti 1030 (if i recall) The thing about chrome books is this they are undervolted by default also ften under clocked a couple 100 mhz to reduce temps to allow for 100% passive cooling. This makes things run cool and give tremendous battery life. These systems beg for a full os heh. You try a chromebook with a full install of linux you wont want to give it up. They are a joy to work on. Also many of them have standard sata for 2.5inch drives and use m.2 ssds in a adapter. So you can use full sized mechanical hds or full sized 2.5 inch ssds meaning you can upgrade storage to huge scales

I do not think i'll like it more then my current thinkpad :) t440s. Yes i am limited in ram up to 12 GB but i do not even use 8 GB that i currently have. I do not have swap at all. On the other hand i have 2.5 SSD slot + M.2 SATA slot which is for WWAN, but i do not have one in it, also i can have one more M.2 SATA slot by inserting in card readers place. So in 1.58 kg laptop i can have 2 M.2 slots + 2.5" Slot. That's insane. Only problem is there are no options for M.2 SATA SSDs with form factor 2242. NVMe and mSATA does not work for me only M.2 SATA works.

those that do backups