Shall I use a 1TB SSD for my Synology NAS?

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

Gigabit can't go faster than 125MB/s in the best case scenario, and the DS213j's CPU is too weak to go faster than it's going now, so it'd be a waste. SSD's only make sense in 10GbE networks.

Hey, I have a Synology DS213j. These are the lower end nas and currently I have 5tb storage (1TB HDD + 4TB HDD). I have 2X 1TB SSDs in my PC and was wondering if it was worth swapping the 1TB SSD into my NAS? They're connected via 1gigabit ethernet switch and currently get 70mbps - 100 mbps read/write. I kinda find the SSD would be more beneficial but not sure. Thanks!

Gigabit can't go faster than 125MB/s in the best case scenario, and the DS213j's CPU is too weak to go faster than it's going now, so it'd be a waste. SSD's only make sense in 10GbE networks.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It's kind of a waste of those SSDs. The NAS you have isn't even 10Gb. 

The HDDs are already capable of maxing out the 1Gbps network. Adding an SSD wouldn't really help for anything other than transferring lots of small files. 

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Alright thanks, I'm considering building a NAS in the future but I'd miss my Synology interface.

5 minutes ago, Aztec said:

Alright thanks, I'm considering building a NAS in the future but I'd miss my Synology interface.

Look into Xpenology, you'll like what you see ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Look into Xpenology, you'll like what you see ;) 

Awesome thanks! I'm thinking of going mini ATX!