Why doesn't Ryzen have fast single core?

20 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Would you be able to explain to me what's the difference between a core and a thread (or hyperthreading)? `

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but those are multi threaded applications. 

What's the difference between a multi-threaded workload versus single-thread? Does a single-thread only use just 1 thread and multi-threaded uses all? If, so why would there ever be an advantage to using just one core out of several?

12 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

Would you be able to explain to me what's the difference between a core and a thread (or hyperthreading)? `

Think of a core as the physical computation hardware and a thread as a process chain. One core can work on one thread at a time. With Hyperthreading (or SMT - Simultaneous Multithreading - in the case of Ryzen), the core can operate on two threads simultaneously. 

Hyperthreading/SMT isn't quite the same as extra cores since it only allows the additional processing to occur when the CPU isn't in the middle of another task.

14 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

What's the difference between a multi-threaded workload versus single-thread? Does a single-thread only use just 1 thread and multi-threaded uses all? If, so why would there ever be an advantage to using just one core out of several?

Some tasks can't be parallelized as they need earlier data to work on future data. So those would be single thread workloads -- workloads that can't or aren't parallelized for one reason or another. Multi threaded workloads are workloads that use multiple threads -- not necessarily all, but it can use more than one. The number of threads that can be used depend on the program (and the developers).

It's much simpler to optimize for a single core rather than multiple, so that, coupled with the fact that certain tasks can't be parallelized, means certain tasks are less threaded and thus more dependent on single core performance.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sounds like you’re having driver issues. 

I thought so too but I made sure to update everything. I tried using a screen recording software but it doesn't seem to catch the microstuttering. The stutter is most visible when resizing windows and launching apps like I.E. through the task bar. My i5 seems to handle it more smoothly, especially on win 7.