minimum specs for a server and network "problem"

When i upgrade my computer i would like to build a server type of computer for storage of my digital collection, my sister will be getting my current setup so i was thinking of using her "old" computers hardware for the build. her current computer has {i think} an AMD A8 7600, 8GB DDR3 ram (will probably upgrade to 16Gb) and no GPU (i will be getting 10Tb's which will slowly turn into 80Tb's of storage for it to use) will the processor work decently or do you think that building a new system with something like a 7th or 8th (or even 9th if its released) gen i3 would be better (with its 16Gb DDR4)? 

Also my network modem has an issue where it segregates direct connected devices from wireless devices and i was wondering if there is anyway to fix that as i would like the "server" direct connected where everything else will be wireless

11 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

When i upgrade my computer i would like to build a server type of computer for storage of my digital collection, my sister will be getting my current setup so i was thinking of using her "old" computers hardware for the build. her current computer has {i think} an AMD A8 7600, 8GB DDR3 ram (will probably upgrade to 16Gb) and no GPU (i will be getting 10Tb's which will slowly turn into 80Tb's of storage for it to use) will the processor work decently or do you think that building a new system with something like a 7th or 8th (or even 9th if its released) gen i3 would be better (with its 16Gb DDR4)? 

Also my network modem has an issue where it segregates direct connected devices from wireless devices and i was wondering if there is anyway to fix that as i would like the "server" direct connected where everything else will be wireless

Are we talking about a Plex server? Also depends on stream quality

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Br3tt96 said:

Are we talking about a Plex server? Also depends on stream quality

it will be just a windows managed network drive (like sharing folders to other computers) unless plex offers me better performance (from what i have seen while using plex similar performance is obtained through folder sharing)

even an os that acts as a server would work

4 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

it will be just a windows managed network drive (like sharing folders to other computers) unless plex offers me better performance (from what i have seen while using plex similar performance is obtained through folder sharing)

Depends on the quality honestly. I think that'll run any sort of 1080p and higher in mp4/x264, but if you're wanting to watch HVEC x265 it might have some issues with a AMD a8 7600.  I'm running my plex off of a AMD a8 5545m laptop running Ubuntu and it seems to be doing fine with 480p-1080p mp4/x264

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

most will be 1080p quality, but may have 1-3 streams running at once (maybe a copy cycle here and there to move files across as well)

It should work fine, mabye look at kaby lake pentiums and a 1030 if you want a small upgrade.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

It should work fine, mabye look at kaby lake pentiums and a 1030 if you want a small upgrade.

the GPU shouldn't do anything i would think so a 1030 would be useless and a little waste of money 

17 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

Then thats more than enough power. File sharing in windows really don't need much cpu power at all.

Id look at unraid as you can easily add more drives and control it all from a nice web interface.