Asus X58 Rampage 3 Extreme Windows 10 not installing

ILikeBigTree

I just rebuild my PC, I switched my motherboard from a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 to an Asus Rampage 3 Extreme.

I already have an installation on my SSD (OCZ Vertex 460) it was all working fine untill I started it with the Rampage, it started fine at first, it restarted because the high IOH temp, and Instant bluescreen on boot.

when I put the SSD in my laptop and it works fine. When I reset windows on my laptop, it worked again on the first time but after I restart it, same problem. when I try to clean install it goes past the post, but hangs on the pre-boot post (the console like boot search)

What is the BSOD error code you were/are getting?

• Make sure your BIOS SATA controller is set to AHCI mode
  • In the BIOS, make sure that HPET is Enabled and set to 64-bit

I don't know what BSOD error I get, there is no display to give an error code. only checklight, that all turnoff (that means everything is working)

because the Sata3 controller is the Marvell 9128 (the shittiest Sata3 controller ever, to can set it to AHCI and it stays on IDE) I have an PCI-E sata3 controller for my SSD.

HPET is to 64Bit aswell

(I should've mentioned these, sorry)

1 hour ago, ILikeBigTree said:

I don't know what BSOD error I get, there is no display to give an error code. only checklight, that all turnoff (that means everything is working)

because the Sata3 controller is the Marvell 9128 (the shittiest Sata3 controller ever, to can set it to AHCI and it stays on IDE) I have an PCI-E sata3 controller for my SSD.

HPET is to 64Bit aswell

(I should've mentioned these, sorry)

Well... it is really for the fact that motherboard manufacture were too busy checking the "SATA-3" box instead of actually implementing SATA-3 support, so not only nearly ALL X58 motherboards had the same shitty, low cost controller, but all connected it to PCI-E 2x instead of 4x, so it doesn't have the bandwidth it needs.

Yes, I know, I have a X58 system myself. Still running. I call my desktop: Desky486, 'cause that is what I feel it is, never was really happy with it, but my older desktop PC broke and needed something powerful. Anyways. I use SATA-2 for my SSD. Runs faster and better than SATA-3 controller included. I don't care about max speed, I care about small file speed which is what I work 99% of the time, from programs to OS.

yea, same, but even when booting (although it only was a few times) felt sluggish and slow. that's why I have the external Sata controller.

but that doesn't explain why I can't boot of a bootable USB, and that's the main issue right now.

3 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

yea, same, but even when booting (although it only was a few times) felt sluggish and slow. that's why I have the external Sata controller.

but that doesn't explain why I can't boot of a bootable USB, and that's the main issue right now.

On my side, to get USB Boot working I have to:

• Make sure that USB Storage is Enable in the BIOS (same location where you have USB Keyboard and USB Mouse support)
  • Make sure that you set USB booting to "USB-HDD"
  • Then hit the key for the boot menu while the USB Flash drive is on the system, and pick USB-HDD

Worked for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 (assuming you have USB 3.0 enabled)

Have you tried just using SATA 2? The Marvell controllers are awful, like you said. But I managed to run 2 SSDs, a 1TB HDD, and 2TB HDD off the SATA 2 on my ASUS Rampage III Formula (one step below your board) for ages till my RAM borked out on me.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

On my side, to get USB Boot working I have to:

• Make sure that USB Storage is Enable in the BIOS (same location where you have USB Keyboard and USB Mouse support)
  • Make sure that you set USB booting to "USB-HDD"
  • Then hit the key for the boot menu while the USB Flash drive is on the system, and pick USB-HDD

Worked for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 (assuming you have USB 3.0 enabled)

I have USB 3.0 enabled, tried it on both Usb 2.0 and 3.0.

I have already done all your steps twice, or more, so no luck there.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Have you tried just using SATA 2? The Marvell controllers are awful, like you said. But I managed to run 2 SSDs, a 1TB HDD, and 2TB HDD off the SATA 2 on my ASUS Rampage III Formula (one step below your board) for ages till my RAM borked out on me.

I have a separate Sata3 controller, it worked on my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 just fine with the OS, motherboard and  SSD.

I know right, had some issues with that too, worked out fine after couple of hours trying bios related stuff, later I tried putting the stick from channel A to Channel B, and everything worked just fine (memory wise)

Today when I started the PC with Asus RC Bluetooth it started, CPU ok, Memory ok (rare on a cold start on this board, another one of my issues with this board), VGA Bios ok, Cmos Error. 

no post nothing, no display.

so first of all bios reset through RC Bluetooth, no luck, reset with the button on the back, nothing. Reset with the jumper and taking Cmos battery out, nothing. switched bios, nothing, did the same thing with the second bios, nothing.

so I am assuming the board died on me this morning, I already got my money back for the board, so it's only time wasted.

I already have an agreement on an Evga X58 Classified SLI, I've heard good things about it.

thanks for all the replies you guys, awesome community!