How Much Would an i5-2500K @4.5Ghz Bottleneck a GTX 1070Ti?

CHRoOMAX

Hello LTT Forums,

I've been running my trusty i5-2500K @4.5Ghz OC with a custom overclocked GTX 970 for around 3 years now. I can usually hit 60 FPS at 1080p with medium-high settings in AAA games. However, my monitor is running at 2560x1440 natively. As you might have guessed, my 970 has now started to show its age and I've now been looking for an upgrade. Specifically, the GTX 1070Ti, which I'm planning to overclock, seems to be really good value. Would a 1070Ti allow me to hit 60 FPS at 1440p at high-ultra settings? And in that case, how much of a bottleneck would my i5-2500K be?

There might be a few stutters but I think the 1070Ti would be only a little held back by the CPU. 1440p is quite demanding though so I'm not too sure.

If I were you I'd get the 1070Ti now and save up for a new CPU and motherboard (and possibly RAM) later.

-Parts-

Core i7 8086k 4.0GHz (4.6GHz OC) - ASUS z390 ROG Maximus XI code - Corsair H115i - 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600MHz - Windforce GTX 1050Ti - Corsair HX750i - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

-Upgrades when I get the money-

Undecided on the GPU - ASUS ROG PG278QR 1440p 144Hz (165Hz OC)

higher resolution dosent realy add cpu usage it moves it to the gpu this might work out just fine if your games and tasks lean on the GPU more than the cpu you also always can step up to the same socket i7K and not worry about it.

I had a 1080ti in my 3700 system and then upgraded to an 8700 system.

it was perfectly playable 100+ FPS on the 3rd gen system. When I upgraded I got even better performance, so I know I was being held back before, but to be honest it didn’t matter. I think a 1070ti will be a good card for you and in future if you upgrade your platform it will still be a keeper.

A couple of years ago I upgraded from 2500k @4400 + an OC 290 to 6600k and even with the cpu on stock settings I noticed a big difference.

Mind you, we are talking about a GPU that is now over 6 years old. 

Upgrading to 1070TI while keeping your cpu will be a performance boost, however you will not be getting the max out of your gpu. 

The FPS you will be hitting will depend on the types of games you're playing. e.g. games that is cpu tasked will be running less smoothly compared to what is gpu heavy tasked. 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

6 minutes ago, Marko Fowles said:

A couple of years ago I upgraded from 2500k @4400 + an OC 290 to 6600k and even with the cpu on stock settings I noticed a big difference.

Mind you, we are talking about a GPU that is now over 6 years old. 

Upgrading to 1070TI while keeping your cpu will be a performance boost, however you will not be getting the max out of your gpu. 

The FPS you will be hitting will depend on the types of games you're playing. e.g. games that is cpu tasked will be running less smoothly compared to what is gpu heavy tasked. 

which means RTS games are more CPU intensive and Shooters/Race games with high res textures GPU?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

4 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

which means RTS games are more CPU intensive and Shooters/Race games with high res textures GPU?

Generally speaking, yes. Shooting. race games are more gpu intensive. 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle