gaming using a virtual machine...?

so i'm completely sick of Windows, and want to run Linux only. there is only one problem, i play tons of Overwatch. 

i did get Overwatch running in wine but it was super crappy. it stuttered and lagged all over the place. 

so i had the idea of using a virtual machine to play it. my pc is powerful enough to do it i think. my specs are: 

2x Xeon X5650 (12 core / 24 thread total)

24GB of ram

GTX 780Ti

Intel S5520HC motherboard. 

i heard you need another gpu to do this, and i have a spare GTX 1050 i can put in using a pci-e X1 to X16 adaptor i have. 

can anyone link me to a good tutorial on how to do this? and is my pc good enough?

She/Her

Which distro?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Good enugh: yes!

Tutorial:

wait for the next episodes...

runn the speare card for linux and give the 780Ti to the KVM

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

10 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Which distro?

i don't know yet. i'm still looking for something that's really stable. 

9 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Good enugh: yes!

ok :)

9 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

runn the speare card for linux and give the 780Ti to the KVM

i play lots of other games that either run good in wine or are available on Linux natively, and the 1050 is good enough for Overwatch, so i'd rather use my 780Ti for everything else. 

She/Her

Arch wiki, even though you do not use arch. The main idea and principles are the same.

Level1tech and/or Level1linux on the youtubes.

OpenSuse : https://blog.dancadar.eu/gpu-passthrough-with-kvm-on-opensuse/#more-279

Fedora : https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ryzen-virtualization-success-gtx-1080ti-passthrough-with-windows-10-client/117390

Ubuntu : https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubuntu-17-04-vfio-pcie-passthrough-kernel-update-4-14-rc1/119639

there is also the The Passthough Post, and /r/VFIO for help and some tips and tricks. There is also a discord (check /r/VFIO for link), and the dudes there are cool and helpful. 

When it comes to distros I have found that it is pretty easy to get it going on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Fedora. Maybe easier on Fedora. Arch is cool too, but I spent more time tweaking and breaking Arch than actually using it so I went with Fedora personally. Tumbleweed is rolling like Arch with the addition of more testing on their end, and I found that to be stable and on the cutting edge (bonus points to zypper, great package manager).

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)

setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i play lots of other games that either run good in wine or are available on Linux natively, and the 1050 is good enough for Overwatch, so i'd rather use my 780Ti for everything else. 

I seeeeee ;) Will work allso

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm open to using it. i'm not settled on a distro yet. i'm just looking for stability. 

Even though you are not using Arch, reading their wiki is useful. 

My daily driver is a Fedora box and my servers are running Debian-derivates, but I still find myself using the Arch wiki :-)

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release like Arch, but they do alot of automated testing to avoid breakages. When I tested it for VMs/VFIO/Passthrough for a few months is was stable. It was also as much up-to-date as Arch, or atleast not many days behind. My sole reason for ditching it was that I was more comfortable with Fedora :3

1 minute ago, Filthyscum said:

Even though you are not using Arch, reading their wiki is useful. 

My daily driver is a Fedora box and my servers are running Debian-derivates, but I still find myself using the Arch wiki :-)

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release like Arch, but they do alot of automated testing to avoid breakages. When I tested it for VMs/VFIO/Passthrough for a few months is was stable. It was also as much up-to-date as Arch, or atleast not many days behind. My sole reason for ditching it was that I was more comfortable with Fedora :3

i used Fedora on my Linux laptop and it bricked on me. so i won't use Fedora. 

i'll check out OpenSUSE though... 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i used Fedora on my Linux laptop and it bricked on me. so i won't use Fedora. 

i'll check out OpenSUSE though... 

Or check out Wendells tutorial for Ubunutu. Probably works great for 18.04 as well. Lots of support for ubuntu out there as well.

FYI, if you hate the terminal OpenSUSE has YAsT. Point and click system config. For science I did most of the passthrough config with pointing and clicking my way through it.

And the /r/VFIO dudes have made some tools that help out, check out their discord.