Which Card is most Practical for my Situation?

Twiggy1995

I have recently purchased a roughly three year old used pre-built dell computer.

It's a Dell XPS 8700:

64-bit Quadcore i5-4460 (Haswell) 3.20GHZ
16GB DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA 3.0 6GB/S HDD

NVIDIA GTX 745

I know that to play most more recent games the graphics card will definitely need to be upgraded and I am currently considering a GTX 1060, and was previously considering a GTX 1050 TI.

Left 4 Dead plays very well (as expected for an older game), and a more recent game "Ironsight" which is a free to play kind of copy of Call of Duty Modern Warfare runs fine, and dips at 33fps lowest, so is very playable on the "ultra" settings, on this old video card with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. However I doubt that will be the case for more current games.

I don't have unlimited amounts of money so the $450 Canadian an EVGA GTX 1060 Super Clocked would cost me with taxes and shipping is about the most I can spend on one. The GTX 1050 TI is almost $120 cheaper but only has 4GB of VRAM and less performance than the 1060 and, the 1060 I am looking at is the 6GB version of course. I think that with 6GB of VRAM I should be good for years as games start using more and more VRAM as right now games only seem to use only 3-4GB

However since my the components of the computer are not brand new, and are a few years old, would I see a real performance difference between the two cards, and if I would, would it be enough to warrant paying $120 for the 1060 over the 1050TI?

P.S: I am also thinking about putting in a 2TB HDD and a 256GB ssd, as well as upgrading the processor to an i7, would it be worth it, or would I be better of saving some money over a couple years to buy a good gaming computer later?

the PSU is 460W. Though I will be upgrading it later to a 600W one. Both the 1050TI and 1060 will work with it according to my research, and it has the 6pin connectors the 1060 needs (1050ti doesn't need any more power than the slot itself),

1 minute ago, Twiggy1995 said:

Though I will be upgrading it later to a 600W one

Are you living in a city?cause then hust pick up a 980ti for around 200-300

My life

Unfortunately, no.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and I have to buy most things online. Also the internet speed here sucks 10mb/s down, 1mb/s up.

It all comes down to your budget and how serious you are about gaming.

You will do nothing with a 1060 that you wouldn't with a 1050Ti (theoretically speaking and in 03/08/2018) but the 1060 will do it definetelly better.

So is down to you if you want an fps boost and slightly future proofing your card and if you actually have the budget.

My personal recommendation is that if you are struggling with your budget and those 160$ are important. Stick to the 1050Ti. Is a great card. And if you think 20fps wil lmake the difference save some months and go for the 1060 :) There is no other difference really. They are very simmilar cards.

Unfortunately, no.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and I have to buy most things online. Also the internet speed here sucks 10mb/s down, 1mb/s up.

Buy everything in a place that admits return buys. That is a must.

Yes I should be able to afford a 1060 by the start of September, and I do like to get the best I can afford.

Getting the best you can afford is something my father drilled into me when I was a kid.

1060 it is then, I guess.

Yes I should be able to afford a 1060 by the start of September, and I do like to get the best I can afford.

Getting the best you can afford is something my father drilled into me when I was a kid.

1060 it is then, I guess.

If you are going to wait until september hold yourself a bit more because new Nvidia cards are around the corner. And it could be smart to buy either the new ones or the old ones cheaper :) 

Interesting,

I wonder if a 1070 may fall within my budget.

When you say a bit longer, how much longer do you mean?

Nvidia is supposed to reveal them in gamescom that's 21-25th day so atleast wait until then.

After that we'll know more about when they'll hit the market.

21-25 of this month?

EDIT: yup, just googled it, it is this month.

I will be waiting until at least the 31st of this month, so I will see. If it's not gonna be too far away I may hold out, but if it's a few more months, I may just get the 1060. I'm only going to be doing 1080p anyways, no 1440p or 4k.