Weird Problem involving Windows, HDD and RAM

AmateurPCGuy

PC in question: RYZENONE (check my signature for specs)

I suppose let us start at the very beginning: January 1, 2018. My PC suddenly goes kaput. After about a day of maintenance, I figured it is a dying OS hard drive. Replaced it, confirmed the drive is dead through another system, and all is well... until 6 months later.

August 1, 2018. After barely touching my PC for about 3 days, I suddenly got a BSoD: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION or IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL, and a couple of other BSoDs that point towards ntoskrnl, which leads me to believe that its another WIndows install gone kaput, which then evolved into numerous bootloops and even a BIOS freeze. I already had my eye on two things: another dead OS drive and my (lone) stick of RAM. I attempted a clean windows install, same problems occur, so I replaced it with another hard drive. However, that doesn't fully mitigate the problem. I'm still getting BSoDs of SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTIONS and a couple of bootloops. After verifying that the previously installed OS HDD I have installed here still works, I cleared all charges on the HDD and went into another possible culprit: the RAM.

But the RAM is not the problem either, proven after passing a 4-pass test of MemTest86. After the MemTest, I was greeted with yet another BSoD: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, which was resolved with a System Restore.

So, with both the hard drives still alive, and my RAM passing MemTest, I can only look at one last culprit: the SATA Chipset. Why? Because I have all of the 6 SATA slots filled up (5 HDDs and 1 ODD). I'm planning to remove the ODD and see if lowering the load on the SATA chipset could solve the problem, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In recap, here's a TL;DR on my situation

Windows Install takes a massive poo, reformats, massive poo still exists, changed OS HDD. Same massive poo problems exists but doesn't occur as often now.

Did a MemTest, RAM passes, gets a new BSoD, fixed through system repair.

What other steps should I take to get this rig up and running again?

PS: I would upload a dump file here, if it weren't for Windows not saving them after a BSoD, shame.

Even if your ram is passing I'd still try a different ram stick. 

Something else that is on my mind is power supply issues. All those drives and hardware on a 450 watt, it might not be able to keep them all running all the time, and you'd see those kind of issues in some weird cases. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Try different RAM and Try to unplug as manny drives etc as possible. If that works try adding em back each after another

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

This is not the most accurate source in the world, I usually try and go over their number though. 

Just something else to think about. 

image.png.cc0e9ed143529effaf0f685d123e9b9d.png

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

13 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

-snip-

Youre correct. Idd higly recomend a 600W for him. But this would not lead to a BOSOD. This would lead to a shutdown.

Maybe try to boot from a Linux usb stick and stress the system. If it fails then its likely your PSU

9 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Even if your ram is passing I'd still try a different ram stick. 

7 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Try different RAM

I don't have any other stick at hand right now... plus I'm getting through Windows properly now. I'm currently monitoring every single movement to see which ticks the barrage of BSoDs and everything else.

12 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Something else that is on my mind is power supply issues. All those drives and hardware on a 450 watt, it might not be able to keep them all running all the time, and you'd see those kind of issues in some weird cases. 

Believe it or not, I had this (I admit) freakish HDD setup running for about a year now.

8 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

This is not the most accurate source in the world, I usually try and go over their number though. 

Just something else to think about. 

<snip>

CM Calculator gives me this (see attached image). If I went ahead and removed the ODD, that would be lower of course.

image.png.4237da9e43332b5023cfae1616b9d6ef.png

3 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

-snip-

But thts still close your PSU has to runn hard the whole time then...
But ok your when youre in windows now, maybe check the logs?

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

But thts still close your PSU has to runn hard the whole time then...
But ok your when youre in windows now, maybe check the logs?

Its probably on the borderline (especially when I'm hammering this with games), but I have not encountered a sudden shutdown ever since I had this freakish setup.

As for the logs, the Minidump folder is empty (gee, thanks, Windows.). Probably because I system restored to a time just a few hours after I finished my fresh install (specifically, after installing DirectX drivers)

1 minute ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

Its probably on the borderline (especially when I'm hammering this with games), but I have not encountered a sudden shutdown ever since I had this freakish setup.

As for the logs, the Minidump folder is empty (gee, thanks, Windows.). Probably because I system restored to a time just a few hours after I finished my fresh install (specifically, after installing DirectX drivers)

Ah shiiiit... then I cant help much but wish luck and yeha just in general recomend a 600W. its not nessecary but would be nice for your PC