recommendations for audio setup (dac/amp, mic and headphones)

about 5 years ago I got for a present this USB headphones and I have been using them ever since but recently I had problems mostly with the mic and they are getting worse day by day so I need to upgrade. I want a setup that will last but not too expensive.

I did some research and I will go with open back headphones since they have a wider soundstage and the leaked sound is not a problem. budget 100-200 euros

for dac and amp the Schiit Fulla 2 from @Dackzy  looks good. any other recommendations welcome

now for a microphone, I have no idea what to get. I would say something max 50 euros

I buy from amazon.co.uk and amazon.de because they ship in Cyprus

ifi nano black label would also be a option, but I am actually not 100% sure if it is in your budget or not...

Maybe look used? I don't really know the used market in Cyprus, but I would be suprised if I you couldn't find a good deal on a used DAC and amp or combo unit. (I still have zero idea where that picture comes from)

Have you settled on any headphones or do you have an idea of the sound signature you want and what kind of budget are you working with when it comes to headphones?

I can't really help with microphones, I know high end ones, but those are at least 10 times as much as the 50 euros you have, so that isn't helpful :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

ifi nano black label would also be a option, but I am actually not 100% sure if it is in your budget or not...

Maybe look used? I don't really know the used market in Cyprus, but I would be suprised if I you couldn't find a good deal on a used DAC and amp or combo unit. (I still have zero idea where that picture comes from)

Have you settled on any headphones or do you have an idea of the sound signature you want and what kind of budget are you working with when it comes to headphones?

I can't really help with microphones, I know high end ones, but those are at least 10 times as much as the 50 euros you have, so that isn't helpful :D 

I can find the ifi for 200 euros new.

there is no used market here for really anything except cars, furniture and phones.

I know nothing about headphones. my budget for them is 100 - 200. I've seen some reviews and I am between

AKG K612 Pro, AKG K702, DT 990 PRO maybe even the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

@Dackzy

do you have any other alternatives for the Schiit Fulla 2

they only sell it from there site and the shipping way too high

SHIPPING OPTIONS AVAILABLE

• USPS Uninsured International $22.94
  • FedEx International Economy $38.39
  • FedEx International Priority $44.55
  • USPS Priority International $49.62
  • USPS Priority Express International $67.14

9 hours ago, Technomancer__ said:

I can find the ifi for 200 euros new.

there is no used market here for really anything except cars, furniture and phones.

I know nothing about headphones. my budget for them is 100 - 200. I've seen some reviews and I am between

AKG K612 Pro, AKG K702, DT 990 PRO

Out of those 3 definitely the 612, since they are better than the 702 and the DT 990 have some insanely sharp highs.

Since you are going with a high'ish impedance headphones then the FX-Audio DAC-X6 would work for you and then also the monoprice desktop amp, I think the UK Amazon has that. Both of these units are combo units, but they also both have a high output impedance of 10 Ohm, so they are best for headphones that have a high impedance, since you want to follow the 8 rule for proper damping, so the headohone impedance needs to be at least 80 Ohm.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Out of those 3 definitely the 612, since they are better than the 702 and the DT 990 have some insanely sharp highs.

Since you are going with a high'ish impedance headphones then the FX-Audio DAC-X6 would work for you and then also the monoprice desktop amp, I think the UK Amazon has that. Both of these units are combo units, but they also both have a high output impedance of 10 Ohm, so they are best for headphones that have a high impedance, since you want to follow the 8 rule for proper damping, so the headohone impedance needs to be at least 80 Ohm.

this one right

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

i will need an extra adc for my mic right. linus recommended this one in his  Top 5 Mics Under $50 - 2018 video

34 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

this one right

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

i will need an extra adc for my mic right. linus recommended this one in his  Top 5 Mics Under $50 - 2018 video

yeah that's the unit.

Depends on what kind of mic you get, you could get a USB mic and then you don't have to worry about a ADC, if you go XLR then you need a ADC with 48V phantom power, which most likely will go above your budget. I know that Thomann.de has some cheap dynamik mics and from my understanding then they ship to most countries, but for interfaces you will probably have to go find that behringer u-phoria um2 on amazon or something like that.

Just now, Dackzy said:

yeah that's the unit.

Depends on what kind of mic you get, you could get a USB mic and then you don't have to worry about a ADC, if you go XLR then you need a ADC with 48V phantom power, which most likely will go above your budget. I know that Thomann.de has some cheap dynamik mics and from my understanding then they ship to most countries, but for interfaces you will probably have to go find that behringer u-phoria um2 on amazon or something like that.

linus recommended the Behringer U Foria with the Behringer XM8500. them + xlr cable + arm for the desk are about 80-85 euros

28 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

@Dackzy

Capture.PNG.ff6c9e8ef5d309f2e992c4b0b1b3058d.PNG

Capture.PNG.a3f7087ad7a88e17f57498c0c302ba40.PNG

they are about 300 euros with shipping (i converted the pounds to euros from amazons currency converter)

Seems like a good setup tbh.

12 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

thank you for the help :)

no problem, I hope that you will enjoy it :) 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

@Dackzyturns up my audio interface has a dac. is this better than the monoprice one? http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

its the same price now

oh yeah the magni 3 is better than the MDA