Disable Superfetch in Windows 10?

infiniteCurse

Hey, I am an avid gamer and really dont want anything to slow my pc down while gaming or what not. Is it beneficial to disable this in services? I run two SSD's FYI, any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Superfetch is fine, and can actually make your pc faster if you use a certain file alot. Superfetch stores some frequently used files in your ram, but they are kicked out as soon as more ram is needed. And reading those files only takes a very short time, and often only on startup.

Nothing to worry about.

47 minutes ago, infiniteCurse said:

Hey, I am an avid gamer and really dont want anything to slow my pc down while gaming or what not. Is it beneficial to disable this in services? I run two SSD's FYI, any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You won't gain any performance from disabling SuperFetch. It stores files in RAM that are frequently accessed; so instead of accessing any kind of fixed-storage medium (including SSD's), programs have their files already mapped in memory.

If you run a lot of the same programs when you boot your pc up in the morning for example, SuperFetch will already have most of them preloaded before you finish logging on if you have an SSD. If you tend to run games shortly after loading Windows, many of your most commonly accessed game files will already be in RAM, meaning loading them will be faster.

If you don't have much memory, SuperFetch is already deprioritised over all other kinds of memory operations, and will therefore cache very little or nothing. If you have a lot of memory it's a waste to have it not used for anything. SuperFetch will not try to cache data while the disk is in use by a program or a full screen application has focus, such as a game, however, it will silently keep files in memory that are offloaded by a game, in case they are used again, to speed up access if that resource is needed again - if you have enough RAM.

Edit: I really should reload the page before I comment. Didn't realise I had opened this thread half an hour ago.

Edited by Tabs