Win 10 RAM usage oddity

NFSU
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,
17 hours ago, NFSU said:

Hello there,

I've encountered something very odd while using my pc&laptop and have no clue why is it happening. Apparently both my pc and laptop seem to use much more ram than the sum of all processes in task manager. For example now, task manager tells me that 77% of memory is being used(around 12,3GB of my 16GB), but all of the processes don't use up more than 7GB. Im uploading clip for reference. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about RAM. You bough that amount of ram for what? For ramdisk only so you must use it by yourself and control? No, more ram is used by system, not only for running processes, but for better Windows experience. It was explained lot of time over internet. If you have 4 GB of ram and you see that you have 1 GB free, then don't expect that if you buy another 4 GB, you'll get 5 GB free. No, Windows will use it if possible for different purposes and free it when user's process need it. And you should be happy - you bough that memory so it will be waste of money if it will be used rarely, isn't? :)

Hello there,

I've encountered something very odd while using my pc&laptop and have no clue why is it happening. Apparently both my pc and laptop seem to use much more ram than the sum of all processes in task manager. For example now, task manager tells me that 77% of memory is being used(around 12,3GB of my 16GB), but all of the processes don't use up more than 7GB. Im uploading clip for reference. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.Przechwytywanie.PNG.1566ae3b6a690ab0db17e68d33d35b8d.PNGPrzechwytywanie.PNG.a28d7ae8fca33d6d690247904abfe5e6.PNG

22 minutes ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

is that minecraft i see you playing ? 

also some of your ram may be used up with your GPU as well 

Keen eye, yes it is minecraft that's why I was looking at ram usage. Would it use 5 gb? What for?

21 minutes ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

is that minecraft i see you playing ? 

also some of your ram may be used up with your GPU as well 

Don't know but i don't think that is the case. On all the windows 10 systems here it says for ones that the gpu uses or can use ram things such as 7gb total when 8 is installed. Ones that do not have that feature it says 8gb. There are 16 computers here.   

1 minute ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

oh i se now that one problem might be your ram speed... 

2133 mhz?

Just now, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

is this an intel or amd cpu?

Intel, i5-6600k to be exact

is it possible for you to oc your ram ? if so try to and check ram % ..
i have a ryzen, which does get affected by ram speed and had similar problems with super high ram usage when my bios was reseted... 

1 minute ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

is it possible for you to oc your ram ? if so try to and check ram % ..
i have a ryzen, which does get affected by ram speed and had similar problems with super high ram usage when my bios was reseted... 

I've tried to, but this particulate series is not supported by the mobo thus making xmp not work. Manual oc also didnt work for some reason even after adjusting the voltage and everything. Oh and did i mention its rated at 3000mhz so its not even technically oc?

6 minutes ago, NFSU said:

I've tried to, but this particulate series is not supported by the mobo thus making xmp not work. Manual oc also didnt work for some reason even after adjusting the voltage and everything. Oh and did i mention its rated at 3000mhz so its not even technically oc?

well, the ram sticks originally start at 2133 for ddr4 ram, the rated speed is what manufactures say that their Rams can reach without suitability issues 

to get to the rated speed you would have to manually oc your ram to that speed... 

... I my pc has ram rated for 3200 Mhz, but my mobo can only get up to 2933, just change ram speed, leaving voltage on auto... 

if OC ram, try to do it in little increments from 2133 > 2400 > 2666 > 2800 > 3033  and see if you can get some boost in performance 

1 hour ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

well, the ram sticks originally start at 2133 for ddr4 ram, the rated speed is what manufactures say that their Rams can reach without suitability issues 

to get to the rated speed you would have to manually oc your ram to that speed... 

... I my pc has ram rated for 3200 Mhz, but my mobo can only get up to 2933, just change ram speed, leaving voltage on auto... 

if OC ram, try to do it in little increments from 2133 > 2400 > 2666 > 2800 > 3033  and see if you can get some boost in performance 

Will try that in the morning, gonna let you know if ur interested

17 hours ago, NFSU said:

Hello there,

I've encountered something very odd while using my pc&laptop and have no clue why is it happening. Apparently both my pc and laptop seem to use much more ram than the sum of all processes in task manager. For example now, task manager tells me that 77% of memory is being used(around 12,3GB of my 16GB), but all of the processes don't use up more than 7GB. Im uploading clip for reference. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about RAM. You bough that amount of ram for what? For ramdisk only so you must use it by yourself and control? No, more ram is used by system, not only for running processes, but for better Windows experience. It was explained lot of time over internet. If you have 4 GB of ram and you see that you have 1 GB free, then don't expect that if you buy another 4 GB, you'll get 5 GB free. No, Windows will use it if possible for different purposes and free it when user's process need it. And you should be happy - you bough that memory so it will be waste of money if it will be used rarely, isn't? :)