Possible CMOS issues

Hi,
I'm having a few problems with my PC that I think are to do with the CMOS battery/similar issue. My specs are:
i7-4790k (Originally oc to 4.4GHz, now @ stock 4GHz)
ASUS Z97-A
ASUS Geforce gtx660
Windows 10 and then Ubuntu 17.10/18.04

To begin with, when turning my pc on, the fans and lights would turn on for a few seconds, stay off for a few and then come back on, this would repeat until I switched it off. Eventually I managed to get to BIOS and noticed that the ram was oc to 2400MHz (It was normally/meant to be at 1600MHz) so I corrected this. After a while I was getting bluescreens on Windows 10 with "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_ERROR". I noticed that there were strange issues with oc/over volting on the cpu and ram when I turned it on at various times. Then, after trying each single stick of ram to see whether that was the issue it wouldn't even turn on. After clearing the CMOS, it would turn back on but it only turns on without the stop/start or weird BIOS settings I had before if the CMOS has been cleared before hand. I have tried replacing the CMOS battery and updating the firmware but am still having the issues. Is it time to replace the motherboard or is there still something I could do? Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte Z87X UD3H that eventually resulted in BIOS corruption. I was lucky since my board has dual BIOS allowing me to switch to a backup, yours does not have that feature.

I would try flashing the BIOS to the latest version and see if that fixes it first before jumping on a new board.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.