Ahhh Windows - DX12 apps crash on start

Hello!

Not sure if this should be here or games, but...

I wanted to try out Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7's demos so I downloaded them from the Windows store and launched them. BOTH of them open the window, show the logo for a sec and then vanish.
I thought that was odd, so downloaded a couple of little games to test things - Asphalt 9: Legends and Hill Climb Racing to be precise. Both of these games open and run perfectly.
I looked for another big game with a demo and found Halo Wars 2. This game also crashes shortly after the window opens.

I've deduced from that testing that DX12 games are not working, yet I've had DX12 apps working before - and testing Horizon 3's demo on my other PC shows it works over there. I'm currently updating that PC to see if it works after the update but Windows is taking its time there.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or know a fix? My main PC is fully up-to-date, I installed my GPU driver about 3 days ago so that's pretty damn new and I just ran a DirectX update as well as C++ runtimes.

Try something DX12 based that doesn't come from the Windows Store.

Download and run Superposition, see if that works or not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Try something DX12 based that doesn't come from the Windows Store.

Download and run Superposition, see if that works or not.

Downloading now.

Windows on my other PC has finished updating and - surprisingly - it still works. That means there must be something on or broken with this PC that's causing the issue.

EDIT: Superposition benchmark seems to run fine - I get about 40 FPS on 4K optimised but didn't let it run all the way through. It booted and worked, at least.

Oh boy, I think I've cracked it... By that I mean... F***! My computer's broken.

I found this in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: forza_x64_release_final.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59145cc5
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 24.21.13.9811, time stamp: 0x5b110762
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000de9035
Faulting process ID: 0x1630
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4274250ba3b5e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ForzaHorizon3Demo_1.0.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\forza_x64_release_final.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_040c7acb04cee565\nvwgf2umx.dll
Report ID: 4f647d0c-2f0b-4595-8539-0b4aa27e328c
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.ForzaHorizon3Demo_1.0.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: OpusReleaseFinalDemo

This line...
"Exception code: 0xc0000005"
... Is a familiar error code. I've had some problems with my PC of late and got my motherboard RMAd at the end of its 3 year warranty (3 times because MSI are useless) and then a few weeks later, that error cropped up again. I'm currently running on two of four sticks of RAM and - until now - had been error-free.

I'll be running some more tests and if it comes up with errors, it'll be either an RMA with Corsair or me bitching at MSI a bit more.

Unless anyone knows of something else causing it?

Ok, ran Memtest86 and that came back clear. Tried a single stick of RAM, and swapped out with my other two sticks - no errors in Memtest but no luck with any DX12 store apps.

I have tried everything I've thought of myself and found online, shy of reformatting/resetting which I really don't want to have to do. That is:

• Cleared Store cache
  • Registered Store app again
  • Used troubleshooter
  • Updated everything (game, Windows, drivers)
  • Clean startup (disabled services and startup items)
  • New user
  • Compatibility settings
  • Disabling sound card
  • Disabling integrated GPU
  • Reinstalled/tried different games.
  • Scanned for viruses and malware (MBAM). Even tried an offline scan with Defender.
  • Using other memory slots and sticks (pair of slots closest to CPU caused boot loop)
  • Countless restarts.
  • Ran sfc /scannow

It seems that the ONLY thing that brings up this issue is anything Directx 12 that's from the Windows Store. Other Directx 12 titles as well as DX9, 10 and 11 titles all work as non-store apps. I'm not aware of store apps that are DX11 or below - please let me know if there's something free I can test.

Shy of reformatting, is there anything else I can try? That error code was showing up pre-RMA and I RMAd my motherboard and CPU - both are different parts. I hadn't tested Store apps before so didn't have the error in the same place, but other programs and games were giving that error. Windows was reinstalled when I got this motherboard as it's a different model - this was maybe three months ago. I haven't seen that error code show up on anything that it was showing on previously, but it's definitely the exact same one.

EDIT: The only other thing I would note is that there have been several problems with USB devices - "not enough resources for USB controller" and problems with USB devices not behaving properly. Windows also seems to think that something gets plugged in on every boot. No idea what it is though.

There could be an issue with the SSD, I suppose, as that's about the only thing I've not swapped out but CrystalDiskInfo says "100% health" and no SMART errors.

1 hour ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Ok, ran Memtest86 and that came back clear. Tried a single stick of RAM, and swapped out with my other two sticks - no errors in Memtest but no luck with any DX12 store apps.

I have tried everything I've thought of myself and found online, shy of reformatting/resetting which I really don't want to have to do. That is:

• Cleared Store cache
  • Registered Store app again
  • Used troubleshooter
  • Updated everything (game, Windows, drivers)
  • Clean startup (disabled services and startup items)
  • New user
  • Compatibility settings
  • Disabling sound card
  • Disabling integrated GPU
  • Reinstalled/tried different games.
  • Scanned for viruses and malware (MBAM). Even tried an offline scan with Defender.
  • Using other memory slots and sticks (pair of slots closest to CPU caused boot loop)
  • Countless restarts.
  • Ran sfc /scannow

It seems that the ONLY thing that brings up this issue is anything Directx 12 that's from the Windows Store. Other Directx 12 titles as well as DX9, 10 and 11 titles all work as non-store apps. I'm not aware of store apps that are DX11 or below - please let me know if there's something free I can test.

Shy of reformatting, is there anything else I can try? That error code was showing up pre-RMA and I RMAd my motherboard and CPU - both are different parts. I hadn't tested Store apps before so didn't have the error in the same place, but other programs and games were giving that error. Windows was reinstalled when I got this motherboard as it's a different model - this was maybe three months ago. I haven't seen that error code show up on anything that it was showing on previously, but it's definitely the exact same one.

EDIT: The only other thing I would note is that there have been several problems with USB devices - "not enough resources for USB controller" and problems with USB devices not behaving properly. Windows also seems to think that something gets plugged in on every boot. No idea what it is though.

There could be an issue with the SSD, I suppose, as that's about the only thing I've not swapped out but CrystalDiskInfo says "100% health" and no SMART errors.

How many USB devices you got connected? Do you use USB hubs?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 29/07/2018 at 11:01 PM, Master Disaster said:

How many USB devices you got connected? Do you use USB hubs?

I did have quite a few but I've dropped it down to the minimum I can cope with:
Mouse and keyboard in separate USB 2 slots.
Monitor (hub) in a USB 3 port.
> Webcam
> Microphone
> HTC Vive

If I plug a couple of other devices in, I start getting problems. But during testing yesterday, I literally unplugged everything but the mouse and keyboard - no change.

EDIT: Just got my first BSOD since replacing parts. I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR. It glitched out but carried on working about 5-10 minutes earlier, then, as I drove over a bridge, it blue screened. I'm going to run a more thorough Memtest overnight and see if that throws up anything.