Am I stuck with Windows?

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

i see you have completely ignored everything im saying.

No, I'm just familiar with your tactics.

I want to use windows 7 because it use a superior operating system and beats out it's successors in the most important of metrics the user experience. I will continue to use windows 7 until something better comes along. Win 10 is definitely not that operating system. 

Fedora has an almost plug-and-play solution for vfio passthrough (which is what allows you to assign a full graphics card to a virtual machine). There are some overview videos on the level1techs youtube channel and you can find full tutorials on their forums to learn how to set it up.

Another solution is to build another machine and use steam in-home streaming to play your games remotely. The performance is quite good on a fast network.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, 42kq said:

No, I'm just familiar with your tactics.

I want to use windows 7 because it use a superior operating system and beats out it's successors in the most important of metrics the user experience. I will continue to use windows 7 until something better comes along. Win 10 is definitely not that operating system. 

That's what the windows xp people used to say. The reality of it is that with windows you don't have a choice - microsoft dictates the rules. You can stubbornly stick to 7 and ignore its flaws because you're used to it, but eventually you'll have to upgrade or see your platform get left behind by microsoft and third parties alike. Windows XP is about to lose support for Steam, it's only a matter of time before the same happens to 7.

If you don't like it, maybe you should consider other options.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, Sylvie05 said:

Currently I'm running Windows 10, and I just don't like it. It's bloated, annoying, and overall just not a very good experience. However most of the games I play aren't available on Linux.

The main problem with dual booting is that while playing a game, I usually have discord, chrome, spotify, and occasionally other things running on my other two monitors, rebooting every time I want to check on something in a game (which happens more than you'd think) would be a nightmare. 

Going exclusively Linux wouldn't work even with wine as my favorite game currently has a "garbage" playability rating with wine.

VMs are an idea I've explored but all the mainstream options I've looked over completely suck for performance.

Am I really just stuck with Windows?

go here see if your game/s are listed

https://lutris.net/games/

If you have a sare hd or don't mind the time to reinstall install newest linux mint 

Install lutris by this method 

https://lutris.net/downloads/

Copy paste the commands shown 1 at a time 

Go back to the games section click your game and then click install.

Lutris will open and install the game and its wine runner. 

With any luck what so ever your game will run perfectly.

If it does then great 

You may or may not need to install dxvk as well

In my case i did not need to and eve ran perfectly. 

You could also dual boot windows with mint no problem make sure windows is installed first. After trying all your games you can then just re do it all and get rid of windows and have all your hd space avail for linux and your games. Mint with cinnamon desktop will be very familiar to any windows user it is almost a combo of windows 7 and windows 10 with out the tiles of 10. You have your various settings and soem frequent used aps pinned to a skiny left cllum then your various areas such as admin accessories games etc laid out identically to windows 7/10 youll even have a search box top side to quickly locate that program that installed and you don't know where just like windows. 

I turned on notifications for this topic so post back if you have any questions and ill do what i can to help you out.