How much powerful is MG10XU's headphone out?

seslan

Hey! I have a couple questions about my Yamaha MG10XU’s headphone out power. In the specifications sheet (can be found here), it says that maximum power output of the headphone out is 100mW per channel before it clips on a 40 ohm line.

I know that a headphone’s loudness also depends on the nominal sound pressure at a given voltage or power. Like, 100 dBSPL at 1mW/500Hz etc. Do you guys think that MG10XU’s headphone power output is decent enough to drive, for example, dt 1990 pro, HD 600/650.

Secondly, is there a method to calculate power output of the mixer's headphone out to a different line instead of 40 ohm by using the given spec?

• 1 year later...
Spoiler

Good morning,

Did you by chance ever figure out the answer to this? I emailed Yamaha, and the tech indicated that "he was able to power his Dt 880s" which isn't a very detailed answer. especially as it comes in several different impedance ratings.

On 7/28/2018 at 2:35 PM, seslan said:

Hey! I have a couple questions about my Yamaha MG10XU’s headphone out power. In the specifications sheet (can be found here), it says that maximum power output of the headphone out is 100mW per channel before it clips on a 40 ohm line.

I know that a headphone’s loudness also depends on the nominal sound pressure at a given voltage or power. Like, 100 dBSPL at 1mW/500Hz etc. Do you guys think that MG10XU’s headphone power output is decent enough to drive, for example, dt 1990 pro, HD 600/650.

Secondly, is there a method to calculate power output of the mixer's headphone out to a different line instead of 40 ohm by using the given spec?

Well, the DT1990 PRO states a sensitivity of 1mW/102dB@500hz, so theoretically it should power them just fine.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)