PSU issue?

MorganO

so im having some issues with my system, where without warning the pc will make a beep or little noise then shuts down but the leds on my motherboard still work

To turn the system back on i have to turn the psu switch on and off.

this happens at random times at stock settings and overclocked

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

6 minutes ago, MorganO said:

so im having some issues with my system, where without warning the pc will make a beep or little noise then shuts down but the leds on my motherboard still work

To turn the system back on i have to turn the psu switch on and off.

this happens at random times at stock settings and overclocked

what is the load like?

Edited by bebejapes
grammar

sounds like a regular lockup to me, where u cant see the bsod but its a bsod ( aka freeze ) , probably ram timings set wrong or smt

when u crash regular u can also get a buzz or tick/pop noise from ur soundcard

check eventvwr to see if u can find any crashes at critical/error with a bccode

(◑‿◐)

9 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

what is the load like?

idle/80%cpu load/max load, happens randomly

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

sounds like a regular lockup to me, where u cant see the bsod but its a bsod ( aka freeze ) , probably ram timings set wrong or smt

when u crash regular u can also get a buzz or tick/pop noise from ur soundcard

check eventvwr to see if u can find any crashes at critical/error with a bccode

i have to turn the psu on and off before i can start it up again

25 minutes ago, MorganO said:

idle/80%cpu load/max load, happens randomly

you might have a issue with either a capacitor on the psu.

if you have a spare unit try running a bench mark to put the pc on load and see if it fails.

if it does then its psu.

if not then clean your mother board as it could be motherboard issue.

Edited by bebejapes
spelling error

1 hour ago, MorganO said:

i have to turn the psu on and off before i can start it up again

that happens with boot fails too or motherboard failures

(◑‿◐)

Sounds like a protection might be kicking in on your PSU. If you turn Asus AntiSurge off, does the problem still occur?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sounds like a protection might be kicking in on your PSU. If you turn Asus AntiSurge off, does the problem still occur?

if he does that and there was a power surge he could kiss his equipment goodbye.

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Where can I find that setting?

cant find it anywhere in my bios setting

8 hours ago, bebejapes said:

if he does that and there was a power surge he could kiss his equipment goodbye.

Asus anti-surge is finnicky and awful. Your PSU will detect if there are surges and if there's some weird issue with a surge on the board because of a misplaced standoff or the like, then the board would be SOL even with Anti-surge.

8 hours ago, MorganO said:

Where can I find that setting?

cant find it anywhere in my bios setting

Might be in the mobo manual, I'm not sure. I actually can't recall having a setting for it on my X370 Prime, so I can't say where it would be off the top of my head :(

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Asus anti-surge is finnicky and awful. Your PSU will detect if there are surges and if there's some weird issue with a surge on the board because of a misplaced standoff or the like, then the board would be SOL even with Anti-surge.

Might be in the mobo manual, I'm not sure. I actually can't recall having a setting for it on my X370 Prime, so I can't say where it would be off the top of my head :(

still a long shot but i wouldnt do it hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2018 at 6:14 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

hmm , its looking like ill jsut replace it as it doesnt appear to go away not matter what, i need a probably an 850w psu or probably a 750w platinium psu, what do you reccomend?

8 hours ago, MorganO said:

hmm , its looking like ill jsut replace it as it doesnt appear to go away not matter what, i need a probably an 850w psu or probably a 750w platinium psu, what do you reccomend?

For that one in the Signature?

No, a 550W is plenty.

I need TWO graphics card (w/o OC though) to get close to the 550W rating of modern PSU.

Its rally hard to go near that...

But to be honest, it looks to me as something is broken. Might be the Graphics card that is kinda dying, might be a defective Memory stick, might be a dying Board.

Such intermittant errors just suck, especially if you don't have anything to check that against...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For that one in the Signature?

No, a 550W is plenty.

I need TWO graphics card (w/o OC though) to get close to the 550W rating of modern PSU.

Its rally hard to go near that...

But to be honest, it looks to me as something is broken. Might be the Graphics card that is kinda dying, might be a defective Memory stick, might be a dying Board.

Such intermittant errors just suck, especially if you don't have anything to check that against...

the fact i have to turn the psu off and on to turn it back on makes me think its the psu, the gpu isnt dieing, and i want 750-850w, memory has changed, and its followed the boards/cpu

29 minutes ago, MorganO said:

the fact i have to turn the psu off and on to turn it back on makes me think its the psu, the gpu isnt dieing, and i want 750-850w, memory has changed, and its followed the boards/cpu

Ok.. We'll pick out a nice shiny new 850W psu for ya.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

1 hour ago, MorganO said:

no, it doesn't.

I have the same Issue with one of those PSU, I have to totally switch off the PC to get it running again.

While it is possible that the PSU might be the issue, it is not because it is not strong enough, if the PSU is the issue, wich I do not think, 

It is still possible that it is a Memory Issue, Motherboard, CPU or, as I pointed out, Graphics card.

You have to check that before assuming it has to be the PSU because someone on the Internets told you so...

and i want 750-850w,

Why for what reason??

You don't have any benefit from going overwatt!!

You only have disadvantages, you waste money on shit you don't need, you have higher fan spin, you have higher damage in fault scenarios.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

no, it doesn't.

I have the same Issue with one of those PSU, I have to totally switch off the PC to get it running again.

While it is possible that the PSU might be the issue, it is not because it is not strong enough, if the PSU is the issue, wich I do not think, 

It is still possible that it is a Memory Issue, Motherboard, CPU or, as I pointed out, Graphics card.

You have to check that before assuming it has to be the PSU because someone on the Internets told you so...

Why for what reason??

You don't have any benefit from going overwatt!!

You only have disadvantages, you waste money on shit you don't need, you have higher fan spin, you have higher damage in fault scenarios.

it cant be memory/cpu/motherboard becuase i had the issue before and i have a different cpu/motherboard ram, 

and because i do plan on getting dual GPUs and id rathernot have to buy another PSU when i do that

10 hours ago, MorganO said:

it cant be memory/cpu/motherboard becuase i had the issue before and i have a different cpu/motherboard ram, 

and because i do plan on getting dual GPUs and id rathernot have to buy another PSU when i do that

which dual gpu are you planning on gettiing?

what is the ratio of cost for electricity?

depending on that you should decide the psu type like gold/platinum etc.

1 hour ago, bebejapes said:

which dual gpu are you planning on gettiing?

what is the ratio of cost for electricity?

depending on that you should decide the psu type like gold/platinum etc.

i dont pay for electricity, but probably dual xxxxTi cards

53 minutes ago, MorganO said:

i dont pay for electricity, but probably dual xxxxTi cards

no overclock or are you going to overclock?

6 hours ago, bebejapes said:

no overclock or are you going to overclock?

is this a trick question?

12 hours ago, MorganO said:

is this a trick question?

no hahaha because lets say you run dual 1080ti non oc on the gpu but oc on the cpu i would keep at least a 800w psu.
if i wanted to oc the dual 1080ti and cpu i would keep 100w psu only because im not sure what type of cooling system i will be using like if its liquid or air.

7 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

no hahaha because lets say you run dual 1080ti non oc on the gpu but oc on the cpu i would keep at least a 800w psu.
if i wanted to oc the dual 1080ti and cpu i would keep 100w psu only because im not sure what type of cooling system i will be using like if its liquid or air.

You can run overclocked dual GTX 1080ti's easily on a 750W PSU, what are you talking about?

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You can run overclocked dual GTX 1080ti's easily on a 750W PSU, what are you talking about?

i like to play it safe. 

The guy said power cost is not an option. It also depends which 1080ti he is going with. and no idea what cooling system he is going for.