Does monitor size improve quality?

Kragos

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a 1080p monitor but the question is how big of a monitor should I buy. My friends suggest 27" monitors, but I always though that if the monitor is bigger the pixels are more spread out making the image look a bit worse. I'm not sure whether that is true or not, but does the size matter that much? I see 21" monitors for £90, that is cheap, but is it worth it? Any insight or suggestions would be helpful.

26 minutes ago, Kragos said:

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a 1080p monitor but the question is how big of a monitor should I buy. My friends suggest 27" monitors, but I always though that if the monitor is bigger the pixels are more spread out making the image look a bit worse. I'm not sure whether that is true or not, but does the size matter that much? I see 21" monitors for £90, that is cheap, but is it worth it? Any insight or suggestions would be helpful.

Hey,

Monitor size does have an impact on quality because your spreading the same amount of pixels across a smaller/larger screen. Your friend probably recommended that size because 27" monitors are typically the sweet spot between being too small or too big for a lot of people. Also that price seems about right for that monitor size. I would personally suggest spending the extra money for a 27" like your friend suggested because you will still have a very good visual clarity on a significantly larger screen than the 21" that you're looking at now.

Gaming PC: i7-6700k@4.6GHz w/ Cooler Master ML240L | Aorus Z270X-Gaming 5 | 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200 | Aorus GTX 1080 |  Samsung 970 Evo 2TB + Samsung 860 Evo 250GB + Adata SU800 512 GB + Teamgroup CX 1TB + Seagate External 8TB | Aorus AC300W Case | Corsair VS650 650W 80+ White

Peripherals: Red Dragon K555 INDRAH | Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless | MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34" (3440x1440p/100hz/G-SYNC), Naxa 43" (4k/60hz)

Other Tech: PS5 | Nintendo Switch | Oculus Rift | iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB | iPad Pro 10.5in 64GB

It is true that at the same resolution a bigger screen is going to have lower pixel density. If i were you i would go with something around 23". I have a couple 21" monitors, but find myself wanting bigger monitors. Of all the components you upgrade in a computer setup, the monitors are typically the piece of the setup that goes many years before being upgraded.

14 minutes ago, Outragious said:

It is true that at the same resolution a bigger screen is going to have lower pixel density. If i were you i would go with something around 23". I have a couple 21" monitors, but find myself wanting bigger monitors. Of all the components you upgrade in a computer setup, the monitors are typically the piece of the setup that goes many years before being upgraded.

Exactly this, think of it this way each pixel would be bigger in correlation with the screen size. And bigger pixel means more jaggedness, with rendering it may not seems much of a bother but when working with text the difference would be night and day.

Imo a full hd resolution optimal screen size is 21-23 inch regardles of ratio.

Also take consideration about humans field of view at your setup's viewing distance. Meaning how much do you have to physically move your eye to see the corners of your screen.

Using oversized screen at a normal desktop distance means your eye's peripheral vision cannot cover the corners of your screen and you have to move your eye or head to see there. This translates into more fatigue.

While using a 22 inch screen at a desktop distance, you could see the corners of your screen by using your peripheral vision without losing focus on the other corner of the screen.

So adjust your monitor's distance according to your screen size.

Tl;dr image quality of a monitor at a fixed resolution is reduced of the screen size is larger.

Adding to what others said - It's the physical size and resolution ratio, which is called PPI (pixels per inch). The higher the number, the more pixels it has, the crispier the image. The smaller the number, the less pixels it has per inch, meaning pixels are bigger, more noticeable, image is less detailed and more pixelated.

Here's one PPI calculator: https://www.sven.de/dpi/

For example

21 inches at Full HD (1920x1080) is 104 PPI

27 inches at Full HD (1920x1080) is 81 PPI

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

21 minutes ago, Outragious said:

Currently I have a 1280x1024 monitor that I've had since 2006. I've upgraded the computer last year. The monitor is the only thing left that needs improving.