external HDD detection error

I purchased an WD 3T My Passport external drive last year, I've been using it regularly to keep backups of my documents. But now whenever I plug it in, I get a pop-up that says "in order to access this drive you need to format it" I had another drive that did the same thing. How do I get my stuff back on, or am I just FUBAR?!

WD 3T My Passport

1 minute ago, Cripp7 said:

I purchased an WD 3T My Passport external drive last year, I've been using it regularly to keep backups of my documents. But now whenever I plug it in, I get a pop-up that says "in order to access this drive you need to format it" I had another drive that did the same thing. How do I get my stuff back on, or am I just FUBAR?!

WD 3T My Passport

Try it on another computer first

I assume, judging from the pics, it's a laptop hard drive?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Hello Cripp7,

For the recovery you can try with Recuva, I have used it several times with very good results:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I have tried Recuva on another machine before with some good results, so I'll check that out. Thanks

You are welcome! Post results to know what happened...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming