Unreal engine vs cryengine

manlykeweaver465

Im currently learning c++ and have mainly been learning via books, tutorials and programming exercises as well as creating a few programs of my own from scratch, I've been looking at unreal engine or Cryengine and I'm still undecided one which one to choose, unreal engine seems to lack c++ tutorials but i have found more tutorials for Cryengine, whats your opinion on the engines and which one would you recommend, thanks.

3 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Im currently learning c++ and have mainly been learning via books, tutorials and programming exercises as well as creating a few programs of my own from scratch, I've been looking at unreal engine or Cryengine and I'm still undecided one which one to choose, unreal engine seems to lack c++ tutorials but i have found more tutorials for Cryengine, whats your opinion on the engines and which one would you recommend, thanks.

cryengine is what crysis was wriiten on so it will make ur pc cry with the 30fps

3 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

If you are a learn-by-example person, there's books for both engines and how to incorporate c++ into them.  I haven't tried the 'cookbooks' for these but I believe they contain good examples: link . 

A book that teaches you more about the entire theory and functionality of an engine may be a bit more difficult to come across.  If you are interested in doing some pet projects I would devote to learning the engine and ui more first.  If youre part of a bigger team, you may be solid with a good c++ knowledge and just some basic Unreal/Cry, so that when a game designer is asking for certain things you can translate it into code.

I personally have not played around with Cryengine but I have heard it's more difficult to learn than Unreal.  I've seen some basic tutorials on Unreal and C++ that at least go as far as teaching you how to manipulate certain things with some basic functions.  If you already have a solid foundation in C++, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one - they're both very capable.  I think Unreal 4 would be a bit easier to learn, but if you're already kinda comfortable with cry, go that way instead.

33 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you are a learn-by-example person, there's books for both engines and how to incorporate c++ into them.  I haven't tried the 'cookbooks' for these but I believe they contain good examples: link . 

A book that teaches you more about the entire theory and functionality of an engine may be a bit more difficult to come across.  If you are interested in doing some pet projects I would devote to learning the engine and ui more first.  If youre part of a bigger team, you may be solid with a good c++ knowledge and just some basic Unreal/Cry, so that when a game designer is asking for certain things you can translate it into code.

I personally have not played around with Cryengine but I have heard it's more difficult to learn than Unreal.  I've seen some basic tutorials on Unreal and C++ that at least go as far as teaching you how to manipulate certain things with some basic functions.  If you already have a solid foundation in C++, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one - they're both very capable.  I think Unreal 4 would be a bit easier to learn, but if you're already kinda comfortable with cry, go that way instead.

Thanks for your advice, I haven't looked into cryengine as much as ue4 but theres barely any tutorials for ue4 and epic games focuses on blueprints more than scripting, ill probably go with unreal, buy a book for the engine, i also have experience in unity and there's a video tutorial to help translate skills from unity to unreal engine which is good.

1 hour ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Thanks for your advice, I haven't looked into cryengine as much as ue4 but theres barely any tutorials for ue4 and epic games focuses on blueprints more than scripting, ill probably go with unreal, buy a book for the engine, i also have experience in unity and there's a video tutorial to help translate skills from unity to unreal engine which is good.

Yeah, blueprints are nice for saving time in development, so they're mega popular for that reason, but there's certainly a lot you can do under the hood with unreal.  I think every platform is capable of doing all the same things but are tooled to make certain things easier.  You can make an open world unity game look and run just as good as an unreal game, but unreal makes certain things easier and has certain things pre-baked in.

I personally haven't gone that in-depth myself, I just have a very general knowledge.  Best of luck.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming

23 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Yeah, blueprints are nice for saving time in development, so they're mega popular for that reason, but there's certainly a lot you can do under the hood with unreal.  I think every platform is capable of doing all the same things but are tooled to make certain things easier.  You can make an open world unity game look and run just as good as an unreal game, but unreal makes certain things easier and has certain things pre-baked in.

I personally haven't gone that in-depth myself, I just have a very general knowledge.  Best of luck.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming

Yeah true, thanks for your advice :) 

It doesn’t matter. 

Unreal is free. 

Only specific versions of cryengine 5 is free. 

Flip a coin, learn one & just work in that one. 

-had a real game dev job.