Windows 10 dvd downsides??

BALLIN CRUSADER
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
3 minutes ago, BALLIN CRUSADER said:

Thanks man! I can't use rufus on mac for some reason, but downloaded the iso file and now trying rufus on a pc, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for all the help!

Yeah, sorry, Rufus is windows-only but downloading the ISO can only be done on a non-windows machine. They used to allow downloading the ISO directly but now visiting that page on any windows machine redirects you to the media creation too, which is a pain in the ass for power users.

I'll be around for the next 3 hours or so if you need any help. Feel free to send me a message.

Hi so I bought a windows 10 home dvd from B&H and they told me that I should be able to boot/install windows on my new computer build via external dvd player (attaches via usb connection), can anyone verify this?

Also, people were replying on a question someone asked about the dvd version, saying that the downside to getting the dvd is that there is limited/minimal customer support for the dvd version from microsoft. Should this concern me, and what do they mean by this?

You can boot a Windows installer DVD from an external hard drive, either by using the computers boot menu (usually accessible by pressing one of the F keys during the BIOS splash screen...the key varies between different makes and models) or by manually setting the external DVD drive as the first boot device.

There is limited customer support for all consumer versions of Windows, regardless of where you bought it from or what medium it uses. I suspect that the people that were telling you this were wrong.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

The media the installer comes on is not relevant to Microsoft, what they care about is the edition. If this is an OEM version of Windows 10 Home, then you'll get limited support, since it's meant to be sold to companies or users who can support themselves/their customers, and so the license is cheaper since Microsoft support isn't included.

Additionally, OEM versions have limited transfer rights compared to retail copies.

If this is a Retail copy of Windows 10 Home, then Microsoft will support you the same way they support anyone else with a Retail edition of Windows.

The downside to using a dvd is that it's slower to install from, but yes, it should work from a usb dvd drive.

Technically all you need is the license key - you could save yourself a lot of hassle downloading and creating the latest Windows 10 usb installer and using the key you received with the dvd. 

18 minutes ago, Tabs said:

The media the installer comes on is not relevant to Microsoft, what they care about is the edition. If this is an OEM version of Windows 10 Home, then you'll get limited support, since it's meant to be sold to companies or users who can support themselves/their customers, and so the license is cheaper since Microsoft support isn't included.

Additionally, OEM versions have limited transfer rights compared to retail copies.

If this is a Retail copy of Windows 10 Home, then Microsoft will support you the same way they support anyone else with a Retail edition of Windows.

The downside to using a dvd is that it's slower to install from, but yes, it should work from a usb dvd drive.

Technically all you need is the license key - you could save yourself a lot of hassle downloading and creating the latest Windows 10 usb installer and using the key you received with the dvd. 

Eh, it's not even that much slower than using a flash drive to install Windows 10, but still, everything else here is pretty accurate.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Eh, it's not even that much slower than using a flash drive to install Windows 10, but still, everything else here is pretty accurate.

So is microsoft support that big of a deal? Like are they just going to tell me something I already know, and can't I just ask on microsoft forums or email them?

1 hour ago, BALLIN CRUSADER said:

So is microsoft support that big of a deal? Like are they just going to tell me something I already know, and can't I just ask on microsoft forums or email them?

If you have some kind of issue you can't fix yourself and you're able to install Windows 10 from scratch, you're already beyond the support of most of the non-paid Microsoft support services to be honest. The Microsoft support forums are an absolute joke, every answer starts with "have you run sfc and do you have all updates", regardless of the question asked.

If you have any issues, you're far more likely to get a timely (and accurate) answer by asking on these forums instead.

The only limitation I would worry about is if you have an OEM edition and you might, in the future, want to transfer it to a new PC. OEM licenses can't do this, but Retail licenses can. 

Regardless, I would still recommend installing from a USB using a fresh image from Microsoft's site, since then it means you're installing the latest version of Windows 10, instead of an ancient version on the DVD you bought.

54 minutes ago, Tabs said:

If you have some kind of issue you can't fix yourself and you're able to install Windows 10 from scratch, you're already beyond the support of most of the non-paid Microsoft support services to be honest. The Microsoft support forums are an absolute joke, every answer starts with "have you run sfc and do you have all updates", regardless of the question asked.

If you have any issues, you're far more likely to get a timely (and accurate) answer by asking on these forums instead.

The only limitation I would worry about is if you have an OEM edition and you might, in the future, want to transfer it to a new PC. OEM licenses can't do this, but Retail licenses can. 

Regardless, I would still recommend installing from a USB using a fresh image from Microsoft's site, since then it means you're installing the latest version of Windows 10, instead of an ancient version on the DVD you bought.

Should I just get the unactivated windows 10 and download it onto the usb and then just upgrade later? I tried to do that on a windows computer with a 16GB usb and it didn't work. I'm just getting really frustrated that everyone does this shit on youtube and makes it look like the easiest thing that no one would ever have to worry about, but then when I try to download it on mac, it doesn't work. When I want to buy a software, they expect me to buy it and I have to hope that it works cause I can't return it. And no one shows how to do this on youtube that I'm aware of step by step. 

Its 2018 for frickin sakes!!!

Sorry just want to see my first pc build work, and every other thing seems to go wrong despite finally getting it all put together. 

This crap keeps happening on different computers I try to download it from:IMG_7861.thumb.JPG.e4e9be60af45b2c6b93ddd25e7c4436d.JPG

48 minutes ago, BALLIN CRUSADER said:

This crap keeps happening on different computers I try to download it from:

You mentioned you have a mac - if you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO on a non-windows computer, you can download the ISO you need directly without having to go through the Media Creation Tool.

Once you have it downloaded, you can create a bootable USB drive using a utility like Rufus from https://rufus.akeo.ie/.

Let me know if you need any more help/info, I'd be happy to help you out.

34 minutes ago, Tabs said:

You mentioned you have a mac - if you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO on a non-windows computer, you can download the ISO you need directly without having to go through the Media Creation Tool.

Once you have it downloaded, you can create a bootable USB drive using a utility like Rufus from https://rufus.akeo.ie/.

Let me know if you need any more help/info, I'd be happy to help you out.

Thanks man! I can't use rufus on mac for some reason, but downloaded the iso file and now trying rufus on a pc, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for all the help!

3 minutes ago, BALLIN CRUSADER said:

Yeah, sorry, Rufus is windows-only but downloading the ISO can only be done on a non-windows machine. They used to allow downloading the ISO directly but now visiting that page on any windows machine redirects you to the media creation too, which is a pain in the ass for power users.

I'll be around for the next 3 hours or so if you need any help. Feel free to send me a message.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

I measured the install time of Windows where the disk is needed. The OOBE, and first login are not measured, as this is PC specific base.

The results I got are:

• 7min for USB flash drive
  • 30-35min for DVD. (time varies based on drive speed, external DVD drives tend to be slower)