Windows on an SSD

MrRemnant

Hi, currently i have an inactive form of windows 10 on my HDD. I just got an SSD and am looking to get a new copy of windows (that I can activate) and put it on the SSD. How would I do this, and are there any problems I may encounter?

Thanks. 

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

You can buy a key online, whether it be from a site like Kinguin or G2A (around $20+ USD but the keys can come from questionable sources) or from major retailers (expensive, around $100 USD)

Once you do this, you can download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and use that to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Back up all important files, then power down, unplug your HDD and leave your SSD plugged in. Insert the flash drive and boot from it (usually you can hit F11 or F12 to go to the boot menu as your PC is POSTing, then select the flash drive as a boot device.

Use the key purchased in the previous step when installing. The PC will activate when you gain an internet connection.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Is this on the same computer?  If it is, you don't need a new license just because you're changing boot drives.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Get the Media Creation Tool, burn it to a disc or put the files on a flash drive, and go from there.

As for the keys, there's various sites, none of which I'll mention because tabooness or something that involves arguments.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is this on the same computer?  If it is, you don't need a new license just because you're changing boot drives.

I've done this myself, Ryan is right you just need to reinstall and maybe press activate manually.

If it doesn't you could get a key from a third party key retailer, sadly I don't think I can mention them as they are pretty shady.

I use one of those myself on my main system it works fine for W10 Home BUT you probably need to use phone activation.

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Get the Media Creation Tool, burn it to a disc or put the files on a flash drive, and go from there.

As for the keys, there's various sites, none of which I'll mention because tabooness or something that involves arguments.

Just make sure to select the current version you are running, home or pro correctly!

Otherwise it'll fail to activate

Check that like this

Right click - start - system

5b4ee4a4568e7_Rightclickstartsystem.PNG.5b05403aebe8f2914943e28e2d62daeb.PNG

If this pops up click system info

5b4ee5067d03f_Systeminfo.PNG.f1bb84fc5c2ed961039c68cedd2850c0.PNG

Then you'll see what version you run :)

Here.PNG.445d3c74f2ae63adefa706d46f0849b0.PNG

Downloading the media creation tool is also simple, either google it or click this sentence.

Sorry for the crooked blue marking I'm at work using a touchpad .. it ain't always easy to use a laptop especially this slow HP :(

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It is on the same PC, but i dont have a licence. I had a dodgy copy of win 10 from ebay and cant activate windows

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

1x Corsair SSD

7 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I've done this myself, Ryan is right you just need to reinstall and maybe press activate manually.

If it doesn't you could get a key from a third party key retailer, sadly I don't think I can mention them as they are pretty shady.

I use one of those myself on my main system it works fine for W10 Home BUT you probably need to use phone activation.

Just make sure to select the current version you are running, home or pro correctly!

Otherwise it'll fail to activate

Check that like this

Right click - start - system

5b4ee4a4568e7_Rightclickstartsystem.PNG.5b05403aebe8f2914943e28e2d62daeb.PNG

If this pops up click system info

5b4ee5067d03f_Systeminfo.PNG.f1bb84fc5c2ed961039c68cedd2850c0.PNG

Then you'll see what version you run :)

Here.PNG.445d3c74f2ae63adefa706d46f0849b0.PNG

Downloading the media creation tool is also simple, either google it or click this sentence.

Sorry for the crooked blue marking I'm at work using a touchpad .. it ain't always easy to use a laptop especially this slow HP :(

If i get a new version of windows, home, rather than pro, and a new product key, will i be ok following these steps?

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

1x Corsair SSD