Korean Panel vs XB271HU

BoredErica

Hello,

In 2013 I bought a 27in 1440p IPS  60hz Catleap which used DVID only. I am curious though: Looking at image quality, both uncalibrated vs calibrated (using some profile from a site, say, Rtings), would I notice an improvement? The Catleap is glossy which I like, but at this point I'm open to trying a non-fully glossy monitor. People say that a glossy monitor is more vibrant, but AFAIK nobody has really quantified that with measurements.

From browsing TFT a little bit it doesn't seem to me that in terms of image quality we have improved much since 2013. XB271HU might be better in some cases but then lose in others, case in point: panel uniformity. It would only cost me about $350 if I sell my old monitor or something.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It's hard to tell since I have no idea of what your current monitor looks like as I can't find a proper review for it. So I have no baseline to compare the Acer to.

If you're able to, I'd recommend going to a physical store to try it. Though, if I had to make a guess, I'd imagine that the acer would look a little better, though again, that's just a guess.

I have an overlord tempest monitor overclocked.  I believe it's pretty much what you have.  1440p, overclocked, IPS and one input.  I bought an Asus pg279, which is the same panel as the Acer and ended up returning it.  They were very close in image quality.  If you get the Acer make sure you get it from somewhere with a good return policy, because I say it's not worth the 350 dollar upgrade IF your catleap overclocks well.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, Sombra said:

It's hard to tell since I have no idea of what your current monitor looks like as I can't find a proper review for it. So I have no baseline to compare the Acer to.

If you're able to, I'd recommend going to a physical store to try it. Though, if I had to make a guess, I'd imagine that the acer would look a little better, though again, that's just a guess.

I would think any of the Korean ones... Shimian, Catleap, Crossover, etc are similar in performance. 

On 7/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, Armalite15 said:

I have an overlord tempest monitor overclocked.  I believe it's pretty much what you have.  1440p, overclocked, IPS and one input.  I bought an Asus pg279, which is the same panel as the Acer and ended up returning it.  They were very close in image quality.  If you get the Acer make sure you get it from somewhere with a good return policy, because I say it's not worth the 350 dollar upgrade IF your catleap overclocks well.

Mine only goes up to 65hz.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?