PSA - Try watercooling your GPU

XDroidie626

Hi All

I wasn't really sure how to word this but I just wanted to post about liquid cooling your GPU using the NZXT Kraken G12.

So I have a GTX 1080Ti Mini from Zotac, it runs at about 80c under load, thermal paste was applied well but it still ran super hot and I didn't want it to.

So I invested around £30 in the bracket and another £50 ish on a H55 AIO.

The task is daunting at first, it looks like it wont work at first, and theres always the fear of breaking an extremely expensive GPU but I pressed on and I am extremely happy with the results.

In the UK we are going through a bit of a heat wave so I think I timed this just right.

So for a super quick test I used Rise of the Tomb Raider at the absolute highest settings at 1440p, I don't normally play at these settings but I wanted to stress the GPU hard, this game does it well.

Temps on the stock cooler where around 80c, on the G12 + H55, it dropped to between 45 - 51c and its a lot quieter, this is also setting pump and fans to silent mode, not performance.

World of Warcraft at setting 10 and 4k via DSR on a 1440p monitor hits around 41c under load in a city like dalaran, I don't raid so I haven't tested it there.

Please do your research first, its well supported but it only uses certain AIOs which are listed on their website and certain GPU designed, but it does have an extremely big range of GPUs.

Take your time also if you do decide to fit one, read the instructions carefully so you don't break anything, it took me an hour for a 10 min job.

Enjoy!

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Its pretty much well known that watercooling the GPU is the best performance you can get without exotic cooling :P With a 280mm or 360 you can get it even quieter, although the 360 would be pretty overkill.

I dont know why you play wow and dont raid, the pvp scene is pretty dead. I used to play wow from 2013-2017, was a top mythic raider. PVP was always the last thing they fixed or updated, and they didnt give them a new arena for 4 years :P

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Its pretty much well known that watercooling the GPU is the best performance you can get without exotic cooling :P With a 280mm or 360 you can get it even quieter, although the 360 would be pretty overkill.

I dont know why you play wow and dont raid, the pvp scene is pretty dead. I used to play wow from 2013-2017, was a top mythic raider. PVP was always the last thing they fixed or updated, and they didnt give them a new arena for 4 years :P

I wanted to use my NZXT X62 but I dunno where the pump cable is :( I will be swapping when I find it.

Also I used to raid back in WotLK and got bored, plus I don't have time due to family (got an 11 month old) plus I don't have the patience anymore lol, will be trying mythic dungeons in BFA, slacked off a lot in legion due to work and having a baby.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

1 minute ago, XDroidie626 said:

I wanted to use my NZXT X62 but I dunno where the pump cable is :( I will be swapping when I find it.

Also I used to raid back in WotLK and got bored, plus I don't have time due to family (got an 11 month old) plus I don't have the patience anymore lol, will be trying mythic dungeons in BFA, slacked off a lot in legion due to work and having a baby.

The hell is a baby going to get in the way for? Strap that baby on your chest and farm those raids and dungeons :P

I quit because Ion Hozzi (one of the Game Devs) Needs to be fired or thrown in a tiger pit, hes done an AWFUL job and is killing the raiding scene, Legion had the HIGHEST drop off for players quitting, it beat WOD.... thats saying something

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For what it's worth, 80C on a card like that combined with the form factor of the out-of-the-box card doesn't sound that bad.

not saying its bad, but I like lower numbers :) I did unfortunately have to give up my beloved CM elite 110 case for a Nano S but the temp drop is worth it.

Plus it doesn't heat up my room anymore. its warm enough here at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The hell is a baby going to get in the way for? Strap that baby on your chest and farm those raids and dungeons :P

I quit because Ion Hozzi (one of the Game Devs) Needs to be fired or thrown in a tiger pit, hes done an AWFUL job and is killing the raiding scene, Legion had the HIGHEST drop off for players quitting, it beat WOD.... thats saying something

Trust me, that kid will break things on my desk, he does like to watch, although his mum doesn't like him watching because "she doesn't want he to play games and use computers a lot" like hes got a choice