Best keyboard for a programmer and gamer

olesien

Hello!

So I am looking for a new mechanical keyboard in the 120 - 220 dollar price range. Although I do game a lot (games such as fortnite and rainbow six siege), I also program a lot. 
Since I sit at my computer a lot, it needs to be comforable (preferably wrist-wrest), but also simple (I never use macrobuttons), good keys and lightning (rbg is prefered but not a must have), build quality is a big plus aswell.
And so I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions (from well-known brands, since I live in sweden and can therefore not use amazon or such) 

I prefer my Corsair K95 Platinum you can get it with either mx-brown or mx-speeds. But it got 6 macro key at the left side which can take a time to get used to. But the wrist rest is really nice and the keyboard and its keys feels nice overall. I got mine cheap on Amazon sale for just 130 Euro. Since you cant use Amazon i don`t know how expensive it will be at your local retailer. 

2 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

I prefer my Corsair K95 Platinum you can get it with either mx-brown or mx-speeds. But it got 6 macro key at the left side which can take a time to get used to. But the wrist rest is really nice and the keyboard and its keys feels nice overall. I got mine cheap on Amazon sale for just 130 Euro. Since you cant use Amazon i don`t know how expensive it will be at your local retailer. 

Okay, I was actually considering that one earlier. thanks to swedens import tax at 25% along with other things it costs about 220 euro here (2000 sek)

I have the Logitech G413 Silver, those Romer G keys are the most comfortable I have yet to use (and oh boy, I have almost had as many keyboards as Taran I guess)

There are newer variants now, same type of key but with RGB. I like mine because it has white lights and are not distracting

My Gaming PC: 27833

2 minutes ago, olesien said:

Okay, I was actually considering that one earlier. thanks to swedens import tax at 25% along with other things it costs about 220 euro here (2000 sek)

Thats crazy. I heared that the lower tier options from corsair are also nice like the K70. 

4 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

I have the Logitech G413 Silver, those Romer G keys are the most comfortable I have yet to use (and oh boy, I have almost had as many keyboards as Taran I guess)

There are newer variants now, same type of key but with RGB. I like mine because it has white lights and are not distracting

Hm I was actually considering the G513 carbon tacticle, and it looks pretty similar to the one you have (I don't mind rgb, as long as I can turn it off if I wanna)
Yours is about 1000 sek, while that one I mentioned is 1600 sek, however it comes with a very good looking wrist wrest. You think that's a good deal? (also comes with a free pizza lol)

2 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

All Logitec Romer G i tried so far felt i don`t know if its the right word but mushy. I don´t like them but when it comes to mechanical switches everyone has his own preferences.   

First thing I would like to point out is that K95 Platinum with cherry mx speed switches is the best gaming keyboard ever. But for typing its horrible. So I would go with the razer huntsman elite because its basically cherry mx speeds except there a little more optimized for typing. 

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

Or go with corsairs k95 brown switches...

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

K70 MK2 with Browns. It is pretty much the same thing as the K95 platinum, it just doesn't have the macro keys.  Not sure of its availability in Sweden though.

• 1 month later...

I own 3 Corsair K70's RGB - with Red's Blues' and silver switches -

the design of the corsair boards is really good but they all have one MASSIVE Flaw - Rattling noisy space bars -

I'm sure there are decent corsair boards out there but of the ones I've tried they all had this same problem - The QC on corsair has slipped and I would steer away from the rattling space bars .

I'm no Razer Fanboy - but after using the Razer huntsman elite - I'm totally sold on the QC and the new Opto-Mechanical switches -

I suggest before getting anything - go into a store and try out the new huntsman elite - it's on another level to anything I've used in the past -

Don't take my word for it - go check it out and you'll be convinced -

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

On 7/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

First thing I would like to point out is that K95 Platinum with cherry mx speed switches is the best gaming keyboard ever. But for typing its horrible. So I would go with the razer huntsman elite because its basically cherry mx speeds except there a little more optimized for typing. 

I fully Agree - The huntsman Elite is overall THE BEST mechanical keyboard I've ever used - Bar none -

check out my link

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

On 7/15/2018 at 11:06 PM, olesien said:

Since I sit at my computer a lot, it needs to be comforable (preferably wrist-wrest), but also simple (I never use macrobuttons), good keys and lightning (rbg is prefered but not a must have), build quality is a big plus aswell.

And so I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions (from well-known brands, since I live in sweden and can therefore not use amazon or such) 

Have you any experience from "mechanical" switches?

They differ quite a lot from membrane/rubber domes.

Which have highest force/resistance in top of travel and then register key press only during bottoming.

Mechanical switches often have low resistance in early part of travel, with key press registered half way down and highest resistance just before bottoming.

That difference could cause accidental key presses with very light linear switches, which don't much of feel before actuation point.

And MX Speed with only 1,2mm travel before actuation would be even less forgiving.

Stronger linear switches with some feel before actuation point again have equally higher bottoming force.

Making keeping some crouching/running etc key pressed down with pinky in games not so comfortable.

Non-linear switches again have more feel in travel before actuation point, before force curve then settling to lower rising level for more comfortable bottoming force.

What about do you care noise?

Most mechanical switches fail to give damn about noise, with hard plastic parts hitting each others both in down and upstroke.

Resulting sharp clacketyness, if you don't press keys down softly and soften key rising back up.

MX Retro alias Blue and its variants (+copies like Razer Green) even add extra sound effect for nearing mechanical typewriter like ruckus.

Only couple switches pay attention to noise by having damping for down and upstroke noise.

Cherry has marketing named MX Silent, which is used by by only couple keyboards, with very light linear MX Red like force curve.

So not exactly safest switch, if you lack experience from mechanical switches.

Logitech's Omron made Romer-G has non-linear force curve, with also shortened 1,5mm travel to actuation point.

And backlight is well controlled focusing on keycap markings.

Unlike MX RGBs leaking light everywhere and looking like out of control US Christmas light.

(non-RGB Cherry MX again has problems in illuminating all key cap markings)

Myself got Logitech G810 half year ago after nearly five years with MX Brown and certainly won't go back to that sharp clacketyness.

(tapping 0 key while keeping backlight on/off key pressed cycles through solid backlight colours)

In discounts it's usually available for around 120€ and this looks to be around that level:

https://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/mus-och-tangentbord/LTG810/logitech-g810-orion-spectrum-tangentbord-gaming-svart?scid=5_PRICECOMP_PRICERUNNERSE

You can buy from any EU country without worrying about customs.

But if wanting Nordic layout you pretty much have to buy keyboard from Nordic countries anyway.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:06 AM, olesien said:

new mechanical keyboard in the 120 - 220 dollar price range. Although I do game a lot

I dont know if it is proper to suggest that a chinese web taobao has some cheap ones avaible, RMB99-120 , exclude shipping.

I tried a few of them and quality is very solid