Is this PC Build OK for its purpose?

What do you think of this PC?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Specs?

2. 2. In Specific: What do you think of the GPU?

• It will do fine.
    • Too slow.
  3. 3. In Specific: What do you think of the CPU?

• Upgrade to something better.
    • Its fine and dandy.
  4. 4. RAM: Is it enough anf fast enough for starters?

• Yes, fast and enough.
    • No. Get more,

Hey, so a teacher and friend approached me to help them build a PC, which will be used for Data Analytics and Science for a strtup, he asked me because he knows I know how to build a PC. It will mainly be used for R and Python, they gave me a $1100 budget (Windows +´Monitor + IO). 

Well, here´s the list:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7p64q
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7p64q/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.89 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 560 - 1024 4GB AERO ITX Video Card  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cougar - MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($38.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - G247HYU 23.8" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1080.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-14 17:51 EDT-0400

It´s my first time building a PC for this purpose, but since its for this type of work, so I want to know if its adequate. I want to clarify that the reason why I am going X470 is because of the Motherboard WiFi, Bluetooth, but above all, the AMD StoreMI Technology. I selected a Radeon GPU for their incredible computing power at reasonable prices, and since it is computing, apparently there is no benefit from a Quadro or a WX Card (according to a Game Dev I talked to). The SSD is NVMe instead of SATA because it appears to be beneficial for this type of work to have quick transers.

P.S. I would love it if you could reccommend me cheap (but great) ATX Mid Tower Cases. I am in between a Cooler Master N400, N600, a Cougar MX 330-X or 330-G and the NZXT S340. It just needs two fans at the very least.

Since it's mostly for data and calculations, I would recommend to go with a cheaper motherboard and get more RAM and a Ryzen 7.

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Since it's mostly for data and calculations, I would recommend to go with a cheaper motherboard and get more RAM and a Ryzen 7.

Store MI is needed, sadly, this is the cheapest X470 available, if it were my build, I would vcheap out on the NVMe SSD, go SATA, and cheap out on the MoBo, then get 32GB of RAM and an R7 2700.

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

Store MI is needed, sadly, this is the cheapest X470 available, if it were my build, I would vcheap out on the NVMe SSD, go SATA, and cheap out on the MoBo, then get 32GB of RAM and an R7 2700.

Ah, I see. Sucks they don't have budget 400 series boards yet.

5 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Ah, I see. Sucks they don't have budget 400 series boards yet.

Yeah, B450 is in desperate need. Instead of This $140 MoBo, I would get the recently announced B450 AORUS WiFi Pro, which will be only $80-90 USD. And still has BlueTooth, WiFi and StoreMI, not to mention a competent enough VRM.

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Yeah, B450 is in desperate need. Instead of This $140 MoBo, I would get the recently announced B450 AOURUS WiFi Pro, which will be only $80-90 USD. And still has BlueTooth, WiFi and StoreMI, not to mention a competent enough VRM

What kinda bothers me is the 16GB of RAM might not be enough for doing complex calculations and stuff.

Its a good start but a small tweeks are needed as rainbow said a change in mobo (and that B450 should be ok) and cpu would help (but if that's not an changeable)

From previous experience I recommend if possible more storage because even small Coding will take up data. 

1 minute ago, Stardrago said:

Its a good start but a small tweeks are needed as rainbow said a change in mobo (and that B450 should be ok) and cpu would help (but if that's not an changeable)

From previous experience I recommend if possible more storage because even small Coding will take up data. 

Im pushing for a 2TB Barracuda or Barracuda Pro. But yeah, storage. Thank you.

16gb will be fine for a certain point but if your deciding to do a lot of hard coding and scripting having a mobo that will be upgradable in future would be best

6 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

What kinda bothers me is the 16GB of RAM might not be enough for doing complex calculations and stuff.

It is upgradeable to 32GB with current slots on the MoBo. Also, im pushing for getting an R9 380X instead of the RX 560 4GB. An R9 380X is 32CUs, and is nearly on par with an RX 470. An 70-80% upgrade in GPU processing.

Counting on which mobo you decide the gpu shouldn't be to hard to decide but I recommend that you get something with more vram 4gb works for highschool and small uni project but a 6gb or 8gb gpu will last you longer and as the dev told you the highest you will have to go gpu will be a 1080 11gb at the very most unless your planning on making the next COD.

Just check with a few tech heads and they agree it should be fine and the gpu is upgradable and it should last you a few years but they recommend a better power supply & more storage and ram when your upgrading and the monitor may be a bit much. but it will look crisp just check the gpu can handle that resolution on the gpu website.

3 hours ago, Stardrago said:

Just check with a few tech heads and they agree it should be fine and the gpu is upgradable and it should last you a few years but they recommend a better power supply & more storage and ram when your upgrading and the monitor may be a bit much. but it will look crisp just check the gpu can handle that resolution on the gpu website.

I checked with a Cisco Emplyee (Manager and Engineer) and with a Gave Dev and a 3D Artist, hey all agree it is good enough. The HDD however, will be 2TB. Also, the GPU is good enough, it is mostly CPU dependant.

this is a link to a lower cost higher performance SSD of nearly the same Capacity.: Adata XPG SX8200 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB

It has yet to make it's way into PCPP.

It actually benchmarks higher than Samsung's 970 Pro at the same capacity range.

Hey it just showed up in PCPP after I posted this. :-D

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LGdxFT/adata-xpg-sx8200-240gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200np-240gt-c

Rawr.