Best budget 144hz 1920x1080 monitor?

VincentVolaju

So my 5 year old $150 60hz 1920x1080 monitor died the other day. Figured I'd finally give in and try one of these 144hz monitor's I hear people saying are amazing. I went to a couple sites to check some pricing and I can def. tell you I'm not looking for a g-sync monitor since they are all like $400+.

I was thinking of getting the Asus VG248QE or the Acer GN246HL since they're some of the ones I saw around my price range (about $200ish). However, I did a quick google search for some reviews and found quite a few posts saying these are trash monitors and not worth buying. Since I certainly can't afford those really expensive monitors, and apparently the ones I was looking at are no good, what other options do I have?

What is the recommended / best 144hz 1920x1080 monitor for just normal PC gaming (Tarkov, PUBG, RR, MMOs etc.)  What would some of you guys suggest?

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

thinking of getting the Asus VG248QE or the Acer GN246HL since they're s

I have one and have not had any problems with it haha

3 hours ago, VincentVolaju said:

So my 5 year old $150 60hz 1920x1080 monitor died the other day. Figured I'd finally give in and try one of these 144hz monitor's I hear people saying are amazing. I went to a couple sites to check some pricing and I can def. tell you I'm not looking for a g-sync monitor since they are all like $400+.

I was thinking of getting the Asus VG248QE or the Acer GN246HL since they're some of the ones I saw around my price range (about $200ish). However, I did a quick google search for some reviews and found quite a few posts saying these are trash monitors and not worth buying. Since I certainly can't afford those really expensive monitors, and apparently the ones I was looking at are no good, what other options do I have?

What is the recommended / best 144hz 1920x1080 monitor for just normal PC gaming (Tarkov, PUBG, RR, MMOs etc.)  What would some of you guys suggest?

Thanks!

The ViewSonic XG2402 or XG2401 are common recommendations, they're a solid option. The Samsung C24FG73 is also good if you don't mind a curved screen.

You probably will see a lot of recommendations for the ASUS VG248QE, Acer GN246HL, and BenQ XL2411Z. They are all seriously outdated and not a good value at all. They work, and people recommend them because "I have one and it works great for me", but most of the time people haven't done much research and are unaware that there are plenty of options that are superior in every way and the same price or cheaper.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

The ViewSonic XG2402 or XG2401 are common recommendations, they're a solid option. The Samsung C24FG73 is also good if you don't mind a curved screen.

You probably will see a lot of recommendations for the ASUS VG248QE, Acer GN246HL, and BenQ XL2411Z. They are all seriously outdated and not a good value at all. They work, and people recommend them because "I have one and it works great for me", but most of the time people haven't done much research and are unaware that there are plenty of options that are superior in every way and the same price or cheaper.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I looked at ones you mentioned and seems like the XG2402 best fits my budget, although it's about $50 more than I'd like to spend, it seems like it would probably worth it to spend that, rather than get the ASUS or Acer ones.

My question however is, this XG2402 says it's a "FreeSync" monitor, isn't that an AMD thing though? I have a GTX 1070 card, would I have any issues with an AMD monitor?

Thanks for the response!

5 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I looked at ones you mentioned and seems like the XG2402 best fits my budget, although it's about $50 more than I'd like to spend, it seems like it would probably worth it to spend that, rather than get the ASUS or Acer ones.

My question however is, this XG2402 says it's a "FreeSync" monitor, isn't that an AMD thing though? I have a GTX 1070 card, would I have any issues with an AMD monitor?

Thanks for the response!

FreeSync monitors will just operate like normal monitors on NVIDIA cards. They aren't "AMD only monitors" really, they just have an extra feature that only works on AMD cards.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

FreeSync monitors will just operate like normal monitors on NVIDIA cards. They aren't "AMD only monitors" really, they just have an extra feature that only works on AMD cards.

Ohh I see, so then it won't effect me negatively in anyway, but if I end up with an AMD card in the future, I'll also have FreeSync available to me.

Another question I had, I read something about you need more than 2 cables when connecting a monitor that's more than 60hz? With all old monitor I just had 1 power cable to the outlet, and 1 old HDMI cable from 5 years ago that I used to connect the monitor to my PC.

Will this be enough for the XG2402, or will I need to do something differently with hooking it up to the PC since it's a 144hz monitor?

8 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

Ohh I see, so then it won't effect me negatively in anyway, but if I end up with an AMD card in the future, I'll also have FreeSync available to me.

Another question I had, I read something about you need more than 2 cables when connecting a monitor that's more than 60hz? With all old monitor I just had 1 power cable to the outlet, and 1 old HDMI cable from 5 years ago that I used to connect the monitor to my PC.

Will this be enough for the XG2402, or will I need to do something differently with hooking it up to the PC since it's a 144hz monitor?

With the XG2402 you can use either DisplayPort or HDMI, which are both single-cable solutions.

You're probably thinking of Dual-Link DVI, which isn't a literal dual cable thing, just a type of DVI connector.