PC Randomly Crashes

Here's a list of fixes and Observations I Tried and noticed for my PC that keeps Randomly crashing:

I have had a look at logs yet nothing was written or logged, (it was set on automatically restart in case of error, I disabled that and all it did was freeze) I did a reset without wiping personal files and it still didn't work Then I did a full wipe of my PC and it crashed while I was on the setup screen.

I checked power settings, and hardware, all are normal.

Did an sfc check, and nothing came up Ran some built in diagnostics, such as Windows Troubleshooter, and I did a driver stress test running Driver Verifier in Windows (I got a BSOD that gave a graphics error, but I don't remember which one and I looked online but to no avail got no useful fix),Also checked the hardware troubleshooter and nit didn't find anything

Hardware is a possibility as Windows does not create a dump file, but just logs in event viewer that the PC just crashed unexpectedly with no info besides that.

Fixed the CPU frequency/speed to what it should've originally been

Updated BIOS Firmware for MSI

I did a CD wipe using the CD that I got with my PC I did a wipe using a USB created with a bootable copy.

Left it on the login screen and nothing happened so it's most likely Windows doing it on boot.

Tested both Ram sticks separately, but no error occurred.

I also booted it into safe mode and it was fine, and Booted Kali Linux off of a usb and nothing wrong happened for a couple of days.

One more thing....It did something similar with my old AMD card before I upgraded.

Only thing I haven't done is replace any parts, and I really don't want to.

My Hypothesis:

I think it's the graphics driver, but that also wouldn't make sense because it worked on the login screen, and I'm not sure what the graphics driver would be doing in the background.

I just can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I would really appreciate the help. think it's Windows software but I don't want to rule anything out.

Specs: NVIDIA ASUS ROG Strix 1060 6GB, Intel i5 4670k CPU, Raidmax Rx 630SS power supply, MSI z87 g45, PNY Anarchy 16 GB (8*2), WD 1 TB drive, Case: Rosewill Challenger, Windows 10 x64, BIOS Version: 1.9

6 hours ago, Bacon_Gamer said:

Here's a list of fixes and Observations I Tried and noticed for my PC that keeps Randomly crashing:

I have had a look at logs yet nothing was written or logged, (it was set on automatically restart in case of error, I disabled that and all it did was freeze) I did a reset without wiping personal files and it still didn't work Then I did a full wipe of my PC and it crashed while I was on the setup screen.

I checked power settings, and hardware, all are normal.

Did an sfc check, and nothing came up Ran some built in diagnostics, such as Windows Troubleshooter, and I did a driver stress test running Driver Verifier in Windows (I got a BSOD that gave a graphics error, but I don't remember which one and I looked online but to no avail got no useful fix),Also checked the hardware troubleshooter and nit didn't find anything

Hardware is a possibility as Windows does not create a dump file, but just logs in event viewer that the PC just crashed unexpectedly with no info besides that.

Fixed the CPU frequency/speed to what it should've originally been

Updated BIOS Firmware for MSI

I did a CD wipe using the CD that I got with my PC I did a wipe using a USB created with a bootable copy.

Left it on the login screen and nothing happened so it's most likely Windows doing it on boot.

Tested both Ram sticks separately, but no error occurred.

I also booted it into safe mode and it was fine, and Booted Kali Linux off of a usb and nothing wrong happened for a couple of days.

One more thing....It did something similar with my old AMD card before I upgraded.

Only thing I haven't done is replace any parts, and I really don't want to.

My Hypothesis:

I think it's the graphics driver, but that also wouldn't make sense because it worked on the login screen, and I'm not sure what the graphics driver would be doing in the background.

I just can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I would really appreciate the help. think it's Windows software but I don't want to rule anything out.

Specs: NVIDIA ASUS ROG Strix 1060 6GB, Intel i5 4670k CPU, Raidmax Rx 630SS power supply, MSI z87 g45, PNY Anarchy 16 GB (8*2), WD 1 TB drive, Case: Rosewill Challenger, Windows 10 x64, BIOS Version: 1.9

If you suspect the graphics card, try removing it, plugging the HDMI into your motherboard instead and booting with the onboard graphics from the CPU to see if you still get issues.

Maybe try clearing your CMOS too.

Also, hit start and type reliability history.

There may be more info about your crash in there. Double click on any warnings to expand them, then screenshot and post what they say here.

11 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

If you suspect the graphics card, try removing it, plugging the HDMI into your motherboard instead and booting with the onboard graphics from the CPU to see if you still get issues.

There may be more info about your crash in there. Double click on any warnings to expand them, then screenshot and post what they say here.

Haven't tried reliability history or the first one, I'll try these and see if they work

On 7/10/2018 at 6:38 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

I wanted to just test it without a graphics card for an amount of time, so all I had inside were my hard drive, and optical drive, PSU, CPU and motherboard, it didn't crash, but I did get some weird screen flickering, so I'm not sure if the card is causing it, my monitor is, maybe it's a driver problem...? Is it possible that it has to do with my connection, didn't have an 8 pin for my GPU and coupled together from the same cable a 6 pin and a 2 pin, is that an issue, could that be another possibility too?

7 hours ago, Bacon_Gamer said:

I wanted to just test it without a graphics card for an amount of time, so all I had inside were my hard drive, and optical drive, PSU, CPU and motherboard, it didn't crash, but I did get some weird screen flickering, so I'm not sure if the card is causing it, my monitor is, maybe it's a driver problem...? Is it possible that it has to do with my connection, didn't have an 8 pin for my GPU and coupled together from the same cable a 6 pin and a 2 pin, is that an issue, could that be another possibility too?

Pretty much all PCIe cables for graphics cards couple together a 6 pin and 2 pin for the 8 pin so no that's not it.

For the screen flickering... it really depends on what it is. Can't really say much on that without seeing it myself but I doubt it's the problem.

Did you try clearing the CMOS or checking the reliability history yet?

5 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Pretty much all PCIe cables for graphics cards couple together a 6 pin and 2 pin for the 8 pin so no that's not it.

For the screen flickering... it really depends on what it is. Can't really say much on that without seeing it myself but I doubt it's the problem.

Did you try clearing the CMOS or checking the reliability history yet?

Not yet, apparently it just stopped working without the graphics card, so I bought a new PSU to try it out, because I heard the raidmax I have is sketchy, and then I was gonna check the reliability history. I believe I cleared the CMOS recently already.

1 minute ago, Bacon_Gamer said:

Not yet, apparently it just stopped working without the graphics card, so I bought a new PSU to try it out, because I heard the raidmax I have is sketchy, and then I was gonna check the reliability history. I believe I cleared the CMOS recently already.

Yea, the power supply is a good guess.

Let us know how that goes.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

I thought it would work, replacing it, but I guess it didn't, it still crashes/freezes. I'll try the other two

On 7/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Ok so I checked the reliability history and was able to aquire the BSOD information. The first error has a bucket ID 0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

The others say

LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_3D

And finally the last one says:

The computer has reebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was 0x0000009f (0x00000000003, 0xffff888c01209800, 0xfffff8841423ec20, 0xffff888c04198a70), but then I look at the previous day, because all it does normally is shut down or freeze, and all it says was shutdown was unexpected or it was not cleanly shut down.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:52 AM, Bacon_Gamer said:

Ok so I checked the reliability history and was able to aquire the BSOD information. The first error has a bucket ID 0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

The others say

LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_3D

And finally the last one says:

The computer has reebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was 0x0000009f (0x00000000003, 0xffff888c01209800, 0xfffff8841423ec20, 0xffff888c04198a70), but then I look at the previous day, because all it does normally is shut down or freeze, and all it says was shutdown was unexpected or it was not cleanly shut down.

Those errors point to your graphics card. Probably a bad driver.

Download DDU and use it in safemode to wipe out your current graphics card driver..

then after the computer reboots, try install the latest graphics card driver.

If you still get the same problem, repeat the process but try a slightly older version of the driver.

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

On 7/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Those errors point to your graphics card. Probably a bad driver.

Download DDU and use it in safemode to wipe out your current graphics card driver..

then after the computer reboots, try install the latest graphics card driver.

If you still get the same problem, repeat the process but try a slightly older version of the driver.

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

I tried that and it still didn't work, I found some other possible culprits too

Here's all the events leading up.

The system time has changed from something then to something else and the reason was it synchronized with hardware clock, record Id is 1474

The firmware reported boot metrics

The boot menu policy was 0x1

There are 0x1 boot options on the system

Bootmgr spent 0 Ms waiting on user input

User logon for customer experience program

The system returned from a low power state, wake source unknown. (I hit the power button to go on)

The server something didn't register with DCOM within the required timeout. Event Id is 10010

User Logoff Notification for customer experience program, which I believe im opted out of anyway

Dhcpv4 client relieved shutdown notification

Dhcpv4 client proccessdhcprequestforever recieved terminate_event

Dhcpv4 is waiting for dhcpv6 service to stop

Event log service was stopped

Dhcpv6 client stopped shutdown flag value is 1

Dhcpv6 client service stop is almost done. Dhcpv4 context ref count is 1

Dhcpv4 client is stopped. Shutdown flag value of 1

Miscrosoft windows 10 multiprocessor free

6 hours ago, Bacon_Gamer said:

I tried that and it still didn't work, I found some other possible culprits too

Here's all the events leading up.

The system time has changed from something then to something else and the reason was it synchronized with hardware clock, record Id is 1474

The firmware reported boot metrics

The boot menu policy was 0x1

There are 0x1 boot options on the system

Bootmgr spent 0 Ms waiting on user input

User logon for customer experience program

The system returned from a low power state, wake source unknown. (I hit the power button to go on)

The server something didn't register with DCOM within the required timeout. Event Id is 10010

User Logoff Notification for customer experience program, which I believe im opted out of anyway

Dhcpv4 client relieved shutdown notification

Dhcpv4 client proccessdhcprequestforever recieved terminate_event

Dhcpv4 is waiting for dhcpv6 service to stop

Event log service was stopped

Dhcpv6 client stopped shutdown flag value is 1

Dhcpv6 client service stop is almost done. Dhcpv4 context ref count is 1

Dhcpv4 client is stopped. Shutdown flag value of 1

Miscrosoft windows 10 multiprocessor free

Have you tried a simple system restore or repairing windows with a USB windows installer?

I would also try reseating the graphics card. 

6 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Have you tried a simple system restore or repairing windows with a USB windows installer?

I would also try reseating the graphics card. 

I did a full reset and reentered the key. What do you mean by reseating?

26 minutes ago, Bacon_Gamer said:

I did a full reset and reentered the key. What do you mean by reseating?

Turning the system off, unplugging it from the wall, taking the graphics card out, and putting it back in.

If you've never done this before, I suggest using the eraser side of a pencil or an unsharpened pencil to push down on the tab to pop the graphics card up if it gives you trouble. DON'T use a screwdriver or anything sharp/metal.